We're back off a one-day hiatus to bring you the big goings-on and major events from the Packers' morning practice on Monday. There are already a few players whose performances have been lacking a bit and are likely feeling the need to show some improvement quickly, so let's get to it.
- Jermichael Finley returned to practice, but didnt' put on the pads. He ran through a number of individual and position drills, but wasn't a part of the team's practice session. Also returning were TE Brandon Bostick and DE Anthony Hargrove. Meanwhile, Greg Jennings (elbow) and the PUP players remained out with their various injuries (RD).
- While Kuhn remained out for practice, he helped out by assisting the equipment staff in bringing an "apparatus" onto the field (MV).
- Sam Shields took the first snaps as the #4 cornerback in the dime formation (JW). He had a "much better" day today, almost recording an interception and making good plays on the ball (TS).
- Casey Hayward, on the other hand, got beaten badly by Donald Driver in a one-on-one drill and Tori Gurley made a big catch on a fade route over him as well (TS). Let's try not to overreact, everybody.
- Dezman Moses was the primary backup to Clay Matthews at ROLB, with Erik Walden backing up Nick Perry at LOLB. Also, Jamari Lattimore appears to be playing as a full-time ILB again (JW).
- One play of the day was on a red zone drill, when James Starks took a huge hit from Jarrett Bush but still managed to get into the end zone (WH). It's nice to hear that Bush isn't afraid of contact; that kind of play will distinguish him from Shields.
- D.J. Williams had another good day catching the ball, with at least one touchdown (TD). However, Taylor and Crabtree still split the first-team reps in full team drills (WH).
- Davon House was the more impressive of the young corners today, making a perfect break on a ball from Graham Harrell to intercept it (MV) and blanketing James Jones in the end zone (WH). He later knocked away a fade pass to Gurley on a similar route to the one that made Hayward look bad earlier in the day, followed immediately by another interception, this time off B.J. Coleman (TD).
- Finally, Tim Masthay is looking good, putting 7 out of 9 midfield punts inside the 20, with three of them inside the 5 (RD).
And that's all she wrote for Monday's practice. Big thanks go out once again to the following people reporting from practice: