A few NFL legends and the NFL's top dog were in attendance at Wednesday's morning practice session at Packers training camp in Green Bay.
- Commissioner Roger Goodell showed up at practice around 9 AM, and spent some time talking with Mike McCarthy, Ted Thompson, and Mark Murphy (Pack). Also making the trip with the Commissioner was video game pioneer and Brett Favre enthusiast John Madden, who is looking pretty rough these days (JW). Finally, former Packers GM Ron Wolf was at practice as well (TD).
- In on-field news, Greg Jennings returned to practice and his usual spot with the first-team offense (WH). Ryan Pickett missed practice today, along with rookies Mike Daniels and Marc Tyler (Pack). Desmond Bishop and John Kuhn were in shells today, indicating that they likely have been activated from the PUP list (WH, RD). They must practice in shells for two days before going back to full pads (TS).
- Davon House got the first reps with the #1 base defense again today (TS). He made an impressive play in one-on-one drills against Greg Jennings, throwing him to the ground after stripping the ball (TS).
- The other corners had mixed results. Jarrett Bush got burned on a long pass to Jordy Nelson, where he was in good position but wasn't able to make a play on the ball (TS). Later, Casey Hayward picked off a deep pass intended for Tori Gurley (MV). Sam Shields was beaten badly by Randall Cobb as well (TS).
- The pass protection wasn't sharp today. Clay Matthews destroyed Marshall Newhouse all day today and James Starks blew a block that led to Aaron Rodgers being picked off by Charles Woodson (RD). Rodgers was reportedly very agitated with Starks after that play and again later when he dropped a check-down pass from Rodgers (MV).
- Donald Driver continued a string of good practices with a big touchdown off a play action-bootleg, beating the Doctor (M.D. Jennings) for six (TS, TD).
- The kicking game is still looking good. Mason Crosby hit two straight long field goals of either 45 and 53 yards (PD) or 44 and 51 (RD), depending on the reporter. The Punting Professor (RD) also reported on Tim Masthay's first "bad" punt of the summer, which still went 40 yards. He then came right back with a huge kick with 4.8 seconds of hang time.
Have I mentioned that these guys are awesome? Yes? Well I'll do it again: they're awesome.
Not a member of Acme Packing Company? Sign up below and start commenting. Everyone here is super fun. Check us out on social media for updates as well.