Look out, everybody, you get a double dose of practice notes today! Now that the offense has most of its main pieces back on the field and healthy, we can finally start to see things come together. Since the first team will play the whole first half on Thursday against the Bengals, the backups will probably be getting some substantial work as a scout team. Here are your notes from Monday's late morning/early afternoon practice.
- Andrew Datko sat out practice after leaving early on Sunday. That was the only new injury beyond the usual suspects who have been out: James Starks, Brandon Saine, Duane Bennett, Jon Hoese, Davon House, Desmond Bishop, Shaky Smithson, Derek Sherrod, Andrew Quarless, Frank Zombo, Johnny Jones, and Ray Dominguez (WH).
- Notice a name missing from that list? Yes, that's Diondre Borel, who was back practicing again on Monday (RD).
- Ryan Taylor gave an early highlight in practice, when he knocked the blocking sled completely over on its side (TS).
- Sam Shields had a few nice plays in coverage on Monday. He broke up a pass from Aaron Rodgers to Greg Jennings in the end zone (PD), then had another breakup while covering Tori Gurley on a deep route (TD).
- Special teams notes! Dezman Moses took reps with both punt and kickoff coverage teams, while Tori Gurley spent time blocking on the kickoff return team (RD).
- The only serious injury noted from practice was to Jerel Worthy, who appeared to get kicked in the groin (RD). He got up and rejoined practice a few minutes later. I'm fairly certain anyone can appreciate him wanting to sit a few plays out after that.
- Gurley should have made a catch on a deep ball from Graham Harrell, but let the much smaller Casey Hayward wrestle the ball away from him for an interception (TD).
- Rob Francois showed good coverage skills today, dropping back into zone and intercepting a pass from B.J. Coleman (TD, TS). He should be getting snaps in passing downs ahead of A.J. Hawk, in my opinion.
- The secondary saw many different personnel groupings, with Anthony Levine and Sam Shields getting time in the number one dime defense (PD), Jerron McMillian playing with the ones in 7 on 7 drills (TD), and Jarrett Bush getting starter's reps at right cornerback (JW). Tramon Williams even took a few snaps at RCB after spending almost all of training camp on the left side (WH).
And there you go, all the news that's fit to print from Monday's early practice. The team will be back in shells on Tuesday before making the trip to Cincinnati for Thursday's game.
As always, my thanks to these tireless guys who have to suffer through football:
Not a member of Acme Packing Company? Sign up below and start commenting. Everyone here is awesome. Check us out on social media for updates as well.