When the lucky of us have extra days off we do our best to get out of work mode. If I were Ted Thompson, I'd spend this long weekend thinking about nothing BUT my job.
If I were Ted Thompson I would be up Mike McCarthy's colon like a proctologist. I'd channel a little Jerry Jones (just a little) and this is what I'd do:
1) Sit Aaron Rodgers for the rest of the season, or at the very MOST play him like it's the preseason. Let's see if Tolzien has the stuff and/or if Matt Flynn is content to be a back up. I would not risk my franchise QB for an all but lost season, but instead try to make a silk purse out of this sow's ear of a season & get done what the CBA limits during the off & preseasons--turn these last games into padded practice evaluations/tryouts.
2) Fire Dom Capers. (My favorite Packer Fan, my brother, is considering firing Mike McCarthy if he were Ted, but this is my fantasy, Bill!) Is Capers' scheme is all wrong? Is Capers incapable of adjusting a defensive game plan to match his talent? (I must say the defensive play calling is often reminiscent of that Far Side cartoon when the kid trying to enter the "School for the Gifted" is pushing on a door that says "Pull"....) Are the defensive players THAT bad? I'm not sure what the problem is but as inconsistent and sans heart as the D is playing, the faster fix might be a shake up at the top.
3) Retract any and all offers to BJ Raji. If you are going to play like this after turning down 8 million, enjoy free agency & we will enjoy the cap space relief.
4) Get a little flexible with my usually rigid way of mostly (only???) acquiring players through the draft. Start planning for free agency specifically for the offensive line. Jon Asamoah and Anthony Spencer come to mind. In my mind, only Josh Sitton & Evan Dietrich Smith have secured roster spots for the foreseeable future.
5) Start watching college games even more than usual. Hire more college scouts. Do the magic that you have done in the past. Find some obscure school with a monster offensive line & pick those kids like undrafted free apples.
I'm not Ted Thompson. I'm not Mike McCarthy. I'm just a fan who pays a lot of attention, who loves this team enough to sacrifice the rest of a crappy season to plan for a LONG future of ass kicking Green Bay Packer football.