The Packers took the field again today in a practice that was originally to be open to the public, but was moved indoors due to weather conditions. However, the media was present and kept us apprised of the big news of the day. Included we have news on the players who sat out, the offensive line competitions, and the Mike Neal linebacker experiment, among other things.
- In attendance but not participating in practice: Kevin Dorsey, Charles Johnson, DuJuan Harris, Sean Richardson, Davon House, Dezman Moses, Desmond Bishop, J.C. Tretter, Derek Sherrod, and Jerel Worthy (WH). As we noted earlier, Johnny Jolly and Sam Shields were not in the building.
- Marshall Newhouse again lined up at right tackle with the first string offensive line (MV). David Bakhtiari was working with the second string at left tackle (RD).
- Mike Neal took snaps at both defensive end and outside linebacker, and worked in position drills with players from both units (TD, WH). Wes has a quick video of him working on a fumble drill with the linebackers.
- Alex Green fumbled on the first snap of team drills (TD). Great start.
- Wes noted that Andrew Quarless looks explosive and confident on the field, which is a great sign after his knee injury.
- Randall Cobb, Jeremy Ross, Johnathan Franklin, Jordy Nelson, and Tramon Williams all returned punts today, in that order (PD, RD).
- The secondary started with Williams and Casey Hayward on the outside and Jarrett Bush in the slot. However, House and Shields were not in attendance, so those were the only veteran corners available (PD). In the dime package, rookie Micah Hyde and safety Jerron McMillian manned the slot positions (PD).
- Don Barclay took a few reps at center today, though it was with the third team (JW). This was the first time he had played there as a Packer, after taking reps at the other four offensive line spots last year (WH). He also got some reps at right tackle with the starters, however (WH).
- The final play of practice was a deep bomb from Aaron Rodgers to James Jones for a 35-yard touchdown (JW).
As always, we extend a big thanks to the media members who were reporting from practice today.
MV - Mike Vandermause, Green Bay Press-Gazette
WH - Wes Hodkiewicz, GBPG
PD - Pete Dougherty, GBPG
RD - Rob Demovsky, GBPG
TD - Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TS - Tom Silverstein, MJS
JW - Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
ZH - Zach Heilprin, ESPN Wisconsin