The Green Bay Packers began their mandatory minicamp with a practice this morning. The practice was open to the public (and therefore the media), and as such we have a full slate of tweets and reports covering the events of the morning and afternoon. Here are the big stories of the day.
- Sam Shields and Johnny Jolly both were present and practicing (WH).
- Present and not practicing were wide receivers Kevin Dorsey and Jarrett Boykin (ZH) and ILB Desmond Bishop (TD), among others.
- Wisconsin Badgers head football coach Gary Andersen was also in attendance, watching practice (WH).
- James Starks got the first reps with the starters at running back today instead of Alex Green (TD), but Marshall Newhouse remained with the starters at right tackle (RD). Eddie Lacy took reps with the second team and Johnathan Franklin played with the third string (RD).
- Dezman Moses, who had sat out OTA practices, was participating today (ZH). However, he had to leave practice due to reaggravating the injury that held him out last week (RD).
- Despite taking reps with the starters, Starks fumbled multiple times, including at the end of the team's no-huddle drill that ends practice (RD).
- Mason Crosby and Georgio Tavecchio took their first field goal attempts of the off-season today, and each hit on his three attempts (from 38, 43, and 50 yards) (TD).
- The Mike Neal experiment continues, with the defender lining up at OLB and DE in the base defense as well as DT in nickel.
- Johnny Jolly had a mixed practice today. In goal line drills, he had one great play when he swum past a lineman and pressured the quarterback into scrambling (ZH), but on another play he was blocked by Johnathan Franklin on a called QB bootleg (RD).
- Randall Cobb is reportedly having a fantastic off-season. He caught a short touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers in practice today in addition to a few other receptions.
As always, we extend our thanks to the reporters covering the Packers in traditional media who do such a great job of covering the team:
MV - Mike Vandermause, Green Bay Press-Gazette
WH - Wes Hodkiewicz, GBPG
PD - Pete Dougherty, GBPG
RD - Rob Demovsky, GBPG
TD - Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TS - Tom Silverstein, MJS
JW - Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
ZH - Zach Heilprin, ESPN Wisconsin
BC - Brian Carriveau, Cheesehead TV