The Green Bay Packers took the field this morning for their second practice of the 2013 minicamp. Here are the big stories from today's practice, which was originally scheduled to be open to the public and the media, but was moved inside once again due to the weather.
- Sitting out practice today were OLB Dezman Moses, ILBs Desmond Bishop and Brad Jones, WRs Charles Johnson, Jarrett Boykin, Sederrik Cunningham, and Kevin Dorsey, DE Jerel Worthy, DTs Ryan Pickett and Josh Boyd, CB Davon House, RBs Angelo Pease and DuJuan Harris (more on him later), and OL JC Tretter and Derek Sherrod (WH).
- With Bishop and Jones both skipping practice, Jamari Lattimore got the reps with the starters at inside linebacker, a slight surprise since Robert Francois has started there in the past (WH).
- Harris reportedly has been sitting out practice this week because of a benign cyst that was found on his lung during his physical exam (RD). He expects to recover fully.
- The team put an emphasis on screen passes with the offense early on in today's practice, especially with Alex Green and James Starks (TD).
- Jermichael Finley put up an impressive performance in practice today, with multiple tough catches with defenders nearby (MV). Vandermause also notes that Finley has looked very solid in practice all off-season. Hopefully this will be a sign of big things from him this year.
- Once again, Marshall Newhouse remained at right tackle with the starters at the beginning of practice (PD), but gave way to Don Barclay later on (WH).
- Casey Hayward took the first reps with the base defense at right cornerback (PD), but appeared to be the culprit of a blown coverage that allowed James Jones to get loose for a score (MV).
- Wideout Alex Gillett is apparently working strictly at wide receiver for now, as he recorded a touchdown catch from Graham Harrell that bounced off multiple defenders (MV).
- Speaking of Harrell, both he and Coleman appeared to have solid practices, with no reports of poor throws or glaring mistakes by either backup quarterback.
- Andrew Datko appears to be entrenching himself as a backup on the interior of the line, as he played at left guard almost exclusively today (RD). If he can establish himself as a solid backup option at guard, his versatility and ability to play tackle as well may very well be his ticket onto the roster. That said, it looks like my "dark horse" prediction for the winner of the right tackle job may not really be in the competition any more.
As always, we extend our thanks to the reporters covering the Packers in traditional media who do such a great job of covering the team:
MV - Mike Vandermause, Green Bay Press-Gazette
WH - Wes Hodkiewicz, GBPG
PD - Pete Dougherty, GBPG
RD - Rob Demovsky, GBPG
TD - Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TS - Tom Silverstein, MJS
JW - Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
ZH - Zach Heilprin, ESPN Wisconsin
BC - Brian Carriveau, Cheesehead TV
Keep an eye out later this afternoon for our recap of Mike McCarthy's press conference.