NFL Free Agency kicked off yesterday at exactly 3:00 PM CT. Big name players such as, Demarcus Ware and Julius Pepper were cut, along with Jairus Byrd becoming the highest paid safety in the league inking a contract with the New Orleans Saints.
The Packers were inactive on the first day and saw Lamarr Houston sign with division foe Chicago, and Arthur Jones -- a player they targeted -- sign with Indianapolis. Green Bay has interest in both depending on the price. Jermichael Finley made his first Free Agent visit last night in Seattle to meet with the Seahawks, while Evan Dietrich-Smith is in Tampa Bay to visit the Buccaneers. We will have articles on any confirmed Packers signings throughout the day as soon as they happen.
Below is a brief recap of some of the moves from Day 1 of NFL Free Agency:
- Aqib Talib - Denver Broncos - Talib signed a six-year, $57 million deal worth $26M guaranteed.
- Jairus Byrd - New Orleans Saints - Byrd signed a six-year, $54 million deal that includes $28 million guaranteed. He is now the highest paid safety in the entire league.
- Alterraun Verner - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - A four-year, $26.5 million deal, including $14 million guaranteed.
- T.J. Ward - Denver Broncos: A four-year, $23 million contract with $14 million guaranteed.
- Lamarr Houston - Chicago Bears: Inked a five-year, $35 million deal worth $15 million guaranteed in the Windy City.
- Brandon Albert - Miami Dolphins: Signed a five-year, $47 million deal that contains a whopping $26 million guaranteed.
- Arthur Jones - Indianapolis Colts: Jones signed a five-year, $30 million deal with $16 million guaranteed.
- Zane Beadles - Jacksonville Jaguars: A five-year, $30 million deal with $13 million guaranteed.
- Jared Veldheer - Arizona Cardinals: A five-year, $35 million deal with the Arizona Cardinals reunites him with quarterback Carson Palmer.
- Roger Saffold - Oakland Raiders: A five-year, $42.5 million deal that includes $21 million guaranteed with the Raiders.
- Linval Joseph - Minnesota Vikings: A five-year, $31.5 million deal, $14 million guaranteed.
- Donald Brown - San Diego Chargers: Brown's deal is $10.5 million with $4 million in guarantees.
- Mike Mitchell - Pittsburgh Steelers: A five-year, $25 million deal worth $5.25 guaranteed.
- Toby Gerhart - Jacksonville Jaguars: Signed with the Jaguars on a three-year deal worth $10.5 million with $4.5 million guaranteed.
- Austin Howard - Oakland Raiders: A five-year, $30 million deal, including $15 million guaranteed.
- Darren McFadden - Oakland Raiders: A one-year, $4 million deal to stay in Oakland next season.
Blaine Gabbert (LOL) - San Francisco 49ers: Acquired in exchange for a sixth round draft pick.
That's just day one. Day two is just getting started. This will be our open thread for Wednesday of Free Agency week, so discuss and debate to your heart's content!