As the Packers took the field today for practice, it appeared that they were getting healthier. A few young players returned, but towards the end of the day a key offensive piece appeared to be in serious pain. Let's take a spin through the notes from practice.
- Rookie DE Datone Jones sat out practice once again (WH). Also out were T.J. Lang, Andrew Datko, Ryan Pickett, Andrew Quarless, Ryan Taylor, Jordy Nelson, Casey Hayward, and Tramon Williams, in addition to the usual suspects in Derek Sherrod, Bryan Bulaga, JC Tretter, and Jerel Worthy (WH). In case you weren't counting at home, that meant that Eddie Lacy was back at practice.
- The reason for Pickett's absence was unknown at first, until it was learned by WFRV that an ambulance was seen at his house this morning. Thankfully, Pickett himself tweeted that he and his family are fine, and it appears that he should be back on the field shortly.
- Even though Lacy's was present, he only went through positional drills, as did DuJuan Harris (TS). James Starks and Alex Green looked good in the team portions of practice (WH).
- Jeremy Ross is quite literally dropping the ball when it comes to locking down a roster spot. He has been struggling holding onto the football all through training camp, and he dropped another series of passes today in a pretty abysmal showing (TD). Jarrett Boykin had an ugly drop as well (TD).
- On the other hand, James Jones looked good again today, catching multiple long passes from Aaron Rodgers (MV) including a long touchdown early on (TD).
- Graham Harrell continued his struggles, as he underthrew a receiver for what would have been a sure interception if not for Jarrett Bush's hands (TS).
- Both Mason Crosby and Giorgio Tavecchio attempted eight field goals today, and both kickers hit on all eight attempts, wrapping up the session by nailing 54-yarders (RD).
- One concerning note from the last portion of practice was that Randall Cobb appeared to be favoring his injured right arm despite consistently catching passes in the no-huddle drill (PI).
Of course, we all hope that Cobb's injury is minor, but we'll have to wait for Mike McCarthy's press conference to determine the severity. On the other end of the depth chart at receiver, it appears that Ross' struggles have caused him to be surpassed by undrafted rookie Tyrone Walker for the time being.
More from Acme Packing Company:
- Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers News and Links for August 13, 2013
- Mike McCarthy Presser 8/12: An Update on Datone Jones
- Which UDFAs Will Make the Packers: Preseason Week 2 Edition
- Packers vs. Cardinals - Upon Further Review: Grades from Preseason Opener
- Packers "Brainwashing"? Greg Jennings Just Won't Shut Up