As the Packers prepare for their nationally televised showdown with the Seattle Seahawks on Friday, they took part in a fast-paced and physical practice on Wednesday.
Here are some news and notes from Wednesday's practice:
- Randall Cobb was back at practice on Wednesday (WH).
- Aaron Rodgers (illness), Loyce Means (ankle) , and rookie wideout Charles Johnson (knee) all returned to practice on Wednesday (PD).
- Outside Linebacker Andy Mulumba was not in pads on Wednesday (WH).
- Also out of Wednesday's practice were: Nixon, Richardson, Tramon Williams, Tretter, Bulaga, Sherrod, Mulligan, Nelson, and Worthy (PD).
- B.J. Coleman tried to make some plays during a two-minute drill. He started the drill with a long completion to Alex Gillett, but wasn't so lucky on his last attempt.
- Graham Harrell finishes the same drill with a Hail Mary touchdown to D.J. Williams (TS).
- A promising sign of things to come?
- DuJuan Harris is still starting at running back, with Eddie Lacy rotating in after (TD).
- Ross, Franklin, Hines and Alex Green all took kickoff return reps, with Green taking reps before Hines. (WH).
- Marshall Newhouse continues to get second-team reps at Right Tackle, while Datko received the second-team reps at Left Tackle (TD).
- Hyde and Shields were still working as the starting cornerbacks in team drills (WH).
- Uh Oh....
- Jeremy Ross and Micah Hyde continue to battle for punt return duty. Ross went first during the return drills, with Hyde, Franklin, and Hines following after (TS).
- Crosby missed three straight kicks from 42, 42, and 43 before finally making an attempt from 44 yards out. Tavecchio made his only attempt from 42 (TS). Obviously this is very discouraging, and could make things more interesting moving forward.
- Ross continues to struggle with drops
- Brandon Bostick made the play of the day with a one-handed touchdown grab while falling down in the endzone between House and Powell (TS).
- Practice ended with Casey Hayward picking off a Vince Young pass in the endzone (RB). Young was working on scout team and running Seattle prep plays.
Coleman scrambles all over the place and throws one up that Micah Hyde easily picks off.— Tom Silverstein (@TomSilverstein) August 21, 2013
Raji just blows up a running play 3 yards into the backfield.— Tom Silverstein (@TomSilverstein) August 21, 2013
DE Datone Jones is limping off. Hurt left foot again.— Tom Silverstein (@TomSilverstein) August 21, 2013
And Ross drops a scout slant from Young, almost leads to Burnett pick— Wes Hodkiewicz (@WesHod) August 21, 2013
More from Acme Packing Company:
- Packers' Johnny Jolly and His Return to Football: A Road to Redemption
- Wednesday Cheese Curds
- Know Your Enemy: Q&A with Field Gulls
- Mike McCarthy Presser 8/19: No Official Decision at Right Tackle
- Packers Training Camp Practice Notebook 8/19: Hayward and Jones Return