Today's training camp practice in Green Bay was not short on drama, as the Packers' kicking competition and backup quarterbacks continue to be the biggest stories on the team. We're back down to two kickers, as you'll see in a moment, and Vince Young didn't exactly instill a ton of confidence in his reps today.
But bigger than those events was the fact that several injured starters were back today and appeared to be at full strength.
- The first, and arguably most notable, absence from practice was Giorgio Tavecchio (WH), who was not present despite Mason Crosby and Zach Ramirez both kicking. It was then announced during practice that Tavecchio had been released.
- Tramon Williams returned to practice today, though both Casey Hayward and Morgan Burnett sat out (TD).
- Also absent were Kevin Dorsey, Jarrett Bush, James Nixon, DuJuan Harris, Jarvis Reed, Brad Jones, and the usual suspects of Richardson, Tretter, Bulaga, Sherrod, and Worthy (WH). Dezman Moses dropped out of practice mid-way through (TS).
- Aaron Rodgers was primarily on his own during practice, leading Tom Silverstein to speculate that he won't play a single down against the Chiefs on Thursday.
- Jeremy Ross was back as the first player to get a crack at returning punts. Alex Green, on the other hand, took the first kick return (PD) with Sam Shields taking a few returns as well (WH).
- Rookie WR Charles Johnson made what was probably the catch of the day:
- While working on the scout team offense, Vince Young overthrew James Jones into the waiting arms of M.D. Jennings (JW). He was later picked off by Micah Hyde, who jumped a Myles White curl route and took it back for a touchdown (TD, WH).
- Yay Jordy!
- Marshall Newhouse got reps with the starters at both right tackle (TD) and left tackle (WH). But don't read too much into it.
- Rookie OLB Nate Palmer broke up an Aaron Rodgers pass over the middle that was intended for Jermichael Finley (TS). With Dezman Moses banged up and little depth there, Palmer has quietly put together a nice week or so.
- B.J. Coleman put together a decent day with a series of good throws. He had a fade to Tyrone Walker (TS) and in the red zone drills towards the end of practice he hit Myles White for a score with Chris Banjo in coverage (TD).
Charles Johnson more athletic than the other rookie receivers. Just made a one-handed catch in this drill, pinned ball to his helmet.— Tyler Dunne (@TyDunne) August 26, 2013
On scout team, Rodgers hits Nelson deep over Means and Jennings. Nelson running full speed.— Tom Silverstein (@TomSilverstein) August 26, 2013
More from Acme Packing Company:
- Packers Release Giorgio Tavecchio
- Saving Space on the Packers' 53, Part 2: Defense
- Packers Training Camp Practice Notebook 8/25: Ramirez Impresses Early
- Packers vs. Seahawks Performance Grades: Defensive Line pushes back
- Packers Roster Cuts: Tracking the Players Released in Training Camp