With today being the final practice of training camp and no decision having been made at kicker, the Green Bay Packers coaching staff put Mason Crosby and newcomer Zach Ramirez to the test. Unfortunately for the youngster, it wasn't a pretty sight.
Here are today's notes:
- It seems that the team is waiting until after practice to decide on their cuts (or else they plan to get down to 75 players primarily by placing players on the PUP list or injured reserve). All roster players appeared to be accounted for (PD).
- Jarrett Bush and Dezman Moses returned to the practice field today, though Bush did not participate fully (WH). In addition, both Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson were in full pads (RD).
- Kevin Dorsey remained out of practice with a toe injury (RD). The other key players continuing to sit out were DuJuan Harris, Casey Hayward, Morgan Burnett, and Brad Jones (PD).
- Practice began with B.J. Coleman leading the two-minute offense. Tyrone Walker caught two balls on the drive, a 20-yard pass early on and a 22-yard fade route to bring the offense inside the 5-yard line (MV). Coleman then found Bostick for the score on the run (TS).
- The field goal competition started with both kickers hitting into the wind today. Both hit from 33. 37, and 40 yards before Ramirez missed wide left from 42. Both hit from 45, but Ramirez missed his 48-yard attempt wide left again. Crosby hit from 58 yards, while Ramirez missed short. That's a perfect 7-for-7 day by Crosby, and a rather disappointing 4-of-7 by Ramirez.
- There was a second round of kicking, however, this time with the wind. Ramirez continued his rough day, shanking a 35-yard attempt because of a timing issue, and then missing from 44, 47, 54, and 64. All the while, Crosby kept nailing from all distances (even the 64-yarder).
- Final tally: Crosby 14-14, Ramirez 6-16. Expect to see the name Ramirez again later today, and not in a positive way.
- You can assume that rookie wide receiver Tyrone Walker is safe based on this tweet from Tom Silverstein:
- Two young players who have not lived up to their hype scored touchdowns in practice today, as Johnathan Franklin pulled in a score from Vince Young (MV) and Charles Johnson did the same (TD).
That was one of most impressive kicking displays I have ever seen, by Crosby or any kicker.— Mike Vandermause (@MikeVandermause) August 27, 2013
Young underneath to Tyrone Walker, who has caught everything but a cold this week.— Tom Silverstein (@TomSilverstein) August 27, 2013
With training camp wrapping up, the first round of cuts are sure to come relatively quickly after practice today, since the deadline to make it to 75 players is at 3:00 PM central. Keep it locked here and we'll get news of any cuts out ASAP.
More from Acme Packing Company:
- Ted Thompson Press Conference: Discussing the Packers' Roster Cut Process
- Packers' RB DuJuan Harris Getting Second Opinion on Injured Knee
- Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers News and Links for August 27, 2013
- Packers Training Camp Practice Notebook 8/26: Nelson, Cobb, Williams at Full Strength
- Saving Space on the Packers' 53, Part 2: Defense