C Scott Wells is out again with his back injury. Nothing against Wells, but back injuries can linger and I'm not surprised the injury has resurfaced. The Packers line played better with Wells at center and OL Jason Spitz at right guard in 2007. But the line was good in limited action with Spitz at center and OL Tony Moll filling in at right guard this preseason. Unfortunately they drew a tough first week assignment with Minnesota's excellent tackle tandem of Kevin and Pat Williams.
They're still being cautious with RB Ryan Grant. Probably a good idea, since the Packers run offense won't scare anyone without Grant. It's really good to see NT Ryan Pickett back because they'll need him to control Minnesota's running game. From Packersnews.com:
Also from McCarthy ...
* RB Ryan Grant (hamstring) sat out practice because of soreness but did not have a setback.
* DT Ryan Pickett (hamstring) "definitely" will be ready to play on first and second down against Minnesota.
* LB A.J. Hawk (chest) is "way ahead of schedule," but doctors have not cleared him to return.
* The team will "have more information by the end of the week" on the status of WR James Jones (knee) and other injured players.
* The quality of practice was poor, in part because so many players weren't participating. Among other things, rookie TE Joey Haynos, who stands 6-foot-8, was filling in at linebacker with the scout team.