Green Bay Packers. Crickets chirping...Well there is one rumor.
- Dallas DE Chris Canty is in New York and then off to Seattle. He also wants $8 million/year which seems ridiculous to Dallas fans and to GM Ted Thompson. The Giants just signed a similar player, DT Rocky Bernard, at $4 million per year. Also, Canty's contract demand might make him the 2nd highest paid player on the team...for a run stuffer. Will some team drink the kool-aid and actually give this guy $8 million/year? Still it doesn't hurt to fly him into Green Bay for a meet-and-greet.
- They locked up backup OT Frank Omiyale. He wasn't obviously bad against the 2008 Chiefs (his only 2008 start). A lot of teams were interested in him and the Bears had to give up 4 years, $14 million to get him. He'll probably compete for the starting right tackle job.
- And they are after ex-Packers S Darren Sharper. They appear to be in the market for a safety who's lost a step or two.
Detroit Lions. I expected they would be slow to move in free agency, but instead they are doing all they can. They might not be getting quality players, but they are getting guys who can plug some holes.
- Traded QB Jon Kitna to Dallas for CB Anthony Henry. 2008 was the worst season of Henry's career and he was going to lose his starting CB job in Dallas. It's hard to get excited about a declining 32 year old CB, but the Lions need two new starting CBs and Henry only cost them a veteran QB that had no future in Detroit. The 36 year old Kitna heads up a youth movement at the backup QB spot in Big D; replacing the recently released 40 year old QB Brad Johnson.
- They signed former Tennessee CB Eric King as the backup/nickel cornerback. More help/depth for their secondary, but it's hard to imagine great things from a 5'8" cornerback.
- Also, former 49ers and Cardinal WR Bryant Johnson was signed to start alongside WR Calvin Johnson. Football Outsiders says he was perfectly average last season, which is probably an upgrade over what they currently have.
- They resigned blocking TE Jim Kleinsasser, somebody has got to clear the lane for RB Adrian Peterson, and backup DE Jayme Mitchell. Kleinsasser is a great blocker, but that's all, and I can't recall ever seeing Mitchell play.
- They trade a 4th round pick to Houston for QB Sage Rosenfels. "All signs are pointing to the Vikes picking up their next great backup quarterback."