- It turns out the Packers have an extra $1 million to spend under the 2009 salary cap. I'm lousy at finding good salary cap numbers. They had somewhere between $18-22 million available before the start of free agency. They certainly didn't spend it on any big name free agents. But two 1st round draft picks will eat up some of it. Hopefully they use the rest to sign current players, such as WR Greg Jennings, to extensions.
- The Packers were one of the few teams in on free agent DE Jason Taylor. Despite the switch to a 3-4 defense, the 4-3 alignment will still make some appearances. I could have seen Taylor filling the role previously played by DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila in the new 4-3 alignment.
- Brett Favre's keeping it classy, and ready to "kick [GM Ted Thompson's] ass twice a year." I said earlier that I didn't think it was about revenge, but Favre is sure making it hard for me to believe it.
- So remember when it came out last week that S Nick Collins was staying away from minicamp, but it wasn't about the money? Well it turns out it's all about the money. I'm sure you're all surprised...Actually I think players have to look out for themselves in the NFL. The teams will cut them at the drop of a hat. When the player has some negotiating power, he should use it. But at least they can be honest about it.
- The steroid rumors still bother LB Clay Matthews.
- I expect the rookie wage scale to be a big issue when the teams and the union start talking again about the collective bargaining agreement. But I don't think it'll be the biggest issue, which always remains how much the players get paid vs. the owners.
- Two teams are interested in signing WR Plaxico Burress. Why? Has the signing of a problem player ever worked out? Obviously the pending gun charges are serious, but even before the arrest, he was suspended last September for being a lousy teammate. Great quote from his ex-teammate WR Steve Smith when Burress missed the Monday morning receivers' meeting: "I don't see him a lot, so I thought it was a normal day. I didn't know if he was going to come or not."
Monday Packer Hits: Taylor, Favre, Collins, and Matthews
By Brandon Updated
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.