It's time for the fifth practice of the week, in which we see some more wrinkles in the defensive backfield. Also Aaron Rodgers is still good, and Donald Driver can still catch the ball. Look out youngsters, the old man isn't going quietly into the good night.
- Jermichael Finley had the pads back on today and was a full participant in practice (WH). His presence meant that nobody reported a word on Tom Crabtree or Ryan Taylor during the entire practice.
- DeMarco Cosby is a new tight end who was recently signed to fill up the 90-man roster (WH). He practiced today, but nothing more was mentioned about him.
- The player of the day was without a doubt Morgan Burnett. In three consecutive plays, he tipped (and nearly intercepted) a pass, drilled Finley on a route over the middle, then made an interception off Rodgers (TS). Shortly thereafter, he forced a fumble on Alex Green (WH). With the loss of Nick Collins and Charlie Peprah, Burnett will be asked to do more this season as a veteran leader in the secondary, and he stepped up big today.
- Davon House started with the first team corners in the base defense today, getting the nod over Jarrett Bush (PD). House was big yesterday, and it seems that the coaching staff is going to reward the players who perform well with starters' reps. Just don't expect the starter at that spot to be named any time soon. House also got the first reps with the top unit in the nickel as well (RD).
- On punt returns, Sam Shields and Jerron McMillian were gunners on one side, opposite Bush (TS). Also contributing on special teams today were Lawrence Guy, D.J. Williams, and Brad Jones, who all worked on the kickoff return team (TD). This is the first time I've seen any word of Williams contributing on special teams.
- Donald Driver put up his best practice so far this summer, catching multiple touchdowns from Aaron Rodgers on multiple different routes with different players in coverage (JW, RD). He later had another score in the two-minute drill on an absolute bullet of a pass from Rodgers (MV). The old man still has skills and is doing his best to show that he still belongs.
- Tori Gurley ended practice with a bobbled catch for a score on a back-shoulder throw from Graham Harrell with Shields in coverage (TD).
- Other notes: Dezman Moses was lined up covering Diondre Borel at one point (TS); Finley made a great goal-line catch over the Doctor (M.D. Jennings), who was overmatched by the tight end's size (JW); future Hall of Famer Vic So'oto got burned by Brandon Bostick on a TD from Harrell (WH); Jarius Wynn finally made an appearance by intercepting a screen pass from Rodgers (TS); Brandon Saine had a nice catch-and-run for a big gain, showing his ability on screen passes (TD); finally, Terrell Manning made his first noise in camp by making some good plays against the run and breaking up a pass (TD).
As always, thanks to the guys tweeting live from practice:
RD: Rob Demovsky
MV: Mike Vandermause
JW: Jason Wilde
TS: Tom Silverstein
WH: Wes Hodkiewicz
TD: Tyler Dunne
PD: Pete Dougherty