Finally! The Green Bay Packers actually practiced outside this off-season and the public was able to watch in addition to the media. Here are the big notes from today's practice.
- Sam Shields was the one player on the Packers roster who did not attend practice in some form (BC). Speculation abounded about his absence being contract-related, but Mike McCarthy said in his press conference that there were legitimate personal reasons keeping Shields away (MV).
- Several Packers were not participating in practice however, including the following: WRs Jarrett Boykin, Kevin Dorsey, and Charles Johnson, RBs DuJuan Harris and Angelo Pease, OL Derek Sherrod, DLs Ryan Pickett, Jerel Worthy, and Josh Boyd, LBs Desmond Bishop and Dezman Moses, and DBs Sean Richardson and Davon House (TD).
- Once again, Mike Neal took drills with both the outside linebacker and defensive line groups (WH). He even was split out in coverage once on a receiver in the slot (TD).
- The team instituted a few new drills that we haven't seen before, including this one which helps simulate hitting at full speed despite not being able to actually have full live hitting between players (RD).
- Jeremy Ross got the first crack at returning punts, followed by Randall Cobb and Johnathan Franklin (TD). Reportedly, Franklin needs to work on his hands, as he muffed one punt but caught it quickly on the bounce (WH).
- Once again, James Starks and Alex Green got reps before Eddie Lacy and Franklin at running back (RD).
- Alex Gillett had a good day despite an ugly drop early on. He caught a diving grab over the middle from B.J. Coleman to make up for the drop (WH).
- The two-minute drills to end practice were dominated by big plays. Aaron Rodgers hit Randall Cobb for a 52-yard touchdown (RD). The second-string saw a 44-yard bomb from B.J. Coleman to Alex Gillett for a score, while the third team's drill wrapped up with Loyce Means intercepting Graham Harrell off a ball tipped by Myles White (RD).
As always, we extend our thanks to the reporters covering the Packers in traditional media who do such a great job of covering the team:
MV - Mike Vandermause, Green Bay Press-Gazette
WH - Wes Hodkiewicz, GBPG
PD - Pete Dougherty, GBPG
RD - Rob Demovsky, GBPG
TD - Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TS - Tom Silverstein, MJS
JW - Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
ZH - Zach Heilprin, ESPN Wisconsin
BC - Brian Carriveau, Cheesehead TV
As always, we'll bring you notes from Mike McCarthy's press conference later today.