Following a preseason game that saw zero attempts for both Mason Crosby and Giorgio Tavecchio, the Packers featured both heavily in today's closed practice. There was also some positive injury news for a change. Here's your training camp practice notebook for Monday.
- The DNP list is finally starting to change. Missing from Monday's practice were Kevin Dorsey, Charles Johnson, Eddie Lacy, Sean Richardson, Casey Hayward, Tramon Williams, T.J. Lang, J.C. Tretter, Bryan Bulaga, Andrew Datko, Derek Sherrod, Andrew Quarless, Ryan Taylor, Jordy Nelson, Jerel Worthy, and new addition Datone Jones (RD). Hopefully, Mike McCarthy will have more information on Jones' injury later today.
- On the positive side, Randall Cobb (bicep) returned to practice while DuJuan Harris made his training camp debut (PD). Cobb's injury wasn't serious, so his return is hardly surprising. Harris on the other hand has had a series of random health concerns. With him finally returning to the field, the Packers can better evaluate where they stand at running back.
- With Lang out, Don Barclay spent most of the day at right guard (TD). Accordingly, the right tackle battle was delayed for a day. Once Lang and/or Datko is ready to go, expect the showdown between Barclay and Marshall Newhouse to resume.
- The kicking battle resumed today with Mason Crosby converting seven of his eight attempts and Giorgio Tavecchio hitting all eight of his (MV). Tavecchio made kicks from 36, 42, 46, 53, 36, 42, 46 and 53 while Crosby made all the same distances save for 46 (MV). Tavecchio showed "plenty of leg" on his 46 and 53 yard field goal attempts (RD).
- The coaches were impressed enough with rookie WR Tyrone Walker to give him considerable reps with the starting offense today (RD). CB Micah Hyde also received a lot of work with the starters (RD). Walker's performance in the preseason game against Arizona has pushed him towards a roster berth. If he can string together a few more strong performances, he'll be hard to keep off the 53.
That'll wrap things up for Monday's practice. We'll also have coverage of Mike McCarthy's press conference later this afternoon, so keep your internet machines tuned to Acme Packing Company.
Jason Hirschhorn covers the Green Bay Packers for Acme Packing Co. He has previously written for Lombardi Ave, College Hoops Net, LiveBall Sports, and the List Universe. He is also currently a senior writer for Beats Per Minute, an indie-music webzine. Follow him on Twitter: @JBHirschhorn