The offseason program for the Packers this year officially wrapped up Thursday morning with the conclusion of mandatory minicamp outside on Ray Nitchske field. The team took a bowling trip Wednesday, and then as we discovered before practice via Jennifer Wilson of WBAY, the veterans were given the day off. We soon found out that fifth year players and above were the ones to be given the free pass for today.
Here are the 16 veteran players who weren't seen at practice today: T.J. Lang, Josh Sitton, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn, Tramon Williams, Jordy Nelson, A.J. Hawk, John Kuhn, Julius Peppers, Brad Jones, B.J. Raji, Mason Crosby, Jarret Bush, Brett Groode, Clay Mathews, Letroy Guion.
And here were the players who were present Thursday, but did not participate in practice: Nick Perry, Chris Harper, Jumal Rolle (although Rolle participated in walk-through at the end), Jerel Worthy, Andrew Quarless.
With the vets gone, this day proved to be helpful to all of the young players. Below are some quick observations I had from the last day of camp.
- Running back Eddie Lacy worked on pass protection skills with the offensive line, and his catching with coach Sam Gash for a bit today.
- Scott Tolzien and Chase Rettig both had nice days with Rodgers and Flynn taking the day off. Tolzein looked good rolling out, and avoid pressure inside the pocket. Same for Retting. Both players made strong throws across the field today.
- UDFA Adrian Hubbard played elephant for a big today.
- In a bit of last-day-before-vacation fun, Randall Cobb played a game on Lacy by JR Smithing (untying) his cleats when he wasn't looking. Lacy got him back by taking his helmet and hiding it under a trash can for a while. Cobb had no clue where it was until a fan told him.
- Richard Rodgers and Jared Abbrederis had very strong days once again catching the football and running routes.
- Kevin Dorsey and Ryan Taylor also impressed today hauling in passes from the quarterbacks.
- In 11-on-11 drills, rookie Carl Bradford rushed and batted down a pass from Retting in helping stop a 2-point conversion.
- Later on, Lacy punched James Starks in the arm pretty hard...to get a bug off of him.
Players will now have a month off before having to report back in Wisconsin for training camp on July 25, and then they take the field the next day for their first practice on the 26th.