With his team's third preseason game on the horizon and the cut down to 75 looming, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy is transitioning into regular season mode. He shared some of his thoughts on the team's activities during his Tuesday press conference, including leaving the starters in the game for their longest stints of the preseason.
- McCarthy first said defensive lineman Letroy Guion is getting close to returning to the practice field, then backtracked. "I don't know if he's close yet." Guion is going through the Packers' rehab process.
- The news isn't quite as good for rookie running back Rajion Neal. According to the head coach, Neal's leg injury will keep him out "a couple of weeks."
- As Tex reported in our practice notebook, Casey Hayward missed practice today as a precaution. McCarthy noted that the team is trying to play it smart with the cornerback due to his history of hamstring issues.
- As is usually the case, the third preseason game will feature more playing time for the Packers' first stringers. "I don't think it lines up like it used to as far as game-plan situations. [The third preseason game] is the most important game because of the upcoming cut to 75 (players). This will be the longest the starters will play."
- For a coach that has often discussed his love of developing football players, it's no surprise that McCarthy is excited about the reports that the practice squad will be expanded to 10 players, calling the news "awesome."
- On the subject of seeing some of his old players when the Raiders come to town, McCarthy revealed, "It will be great to see James Jones and Charles Woodson. James put a lot into his profession. Charles was outstanding. He had incredible success here. That definitely was one of the tougher [cuts]."
- The Packers are experimenting with crowd noise during their closed practices. McCarthy explained this as being part of their preparation for their season opener against the Seahawks in Seattle's noisy CenturyLink Field. McCarthy also said the team is using different hand signals for no-huddle than it will use during the regular season.
- Though right guard T.J. Lang left practice early with ice on his shoulder, McCarthy said he wasn't concerned with the injury.
That's all for McCarthy. Keep your internet machines tuned to Acme Packing Company for the latest Packers news and developments.