Another practice, another press conference for Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. The presser opened with question on the backup offensive linemen and the injury to Don Barclay.
- The head coach is pleased with the progress that offensive tackle Derek Sherrod has made since the gruesome leg injury he suffered in 2011. "[Sherrod]'s definitely different. He's stronger now" Sherrod practiced at both tackle spots during today's practice, indicating that the team looks at him as a potential swing tackle this season.
- McCarthy confirmed that the injury for Barclay is a torn ACL. Accordingly, his season is now officially over.
- In less severe injury news, McCarthy discussed Morgan Burnett's situation. "[Burnett] didn't go today, we'll see how he is tomorrow. I don't know his availability for Friday." The Packers have tomorrow off.
- Regarding Friday practices during the season, McCarthy explained, "Our environment for Friday will be our meeting room and the CRIC. Heavy training room emphasis.
- McCarthy also discussed strength and conditioning coordinator Mark Lovat as "Someone I have great respect for." The coach added, "He spends a lot of time on research and development."
- Returning to the injury front, McCarthy didn't display a lot of support for injured defensive lineman Letroy Guion. "Guion, I don't really have a feel (for him as a player)." Guion has missed all of training camp thus far.
- The news was better for wide receiver Jeff Janis, who according to McCarthy is "on a schedule no different than the football team." Wednesday was Janis' first padded practice.
- McCarthy admitted that the heat during practice was exceptional Wednesday. "Clearly the hottest day. It's good for us. Tennessee Saturday night will be a challenge." The high temperatures may have been why practice ended early.
- Asked whether he was concerned the Packers would reveal too much of their scheme during open practice, McCarthy rebutted, "Most people don't show what they're going to show against Seattle. We are an open practice football team compared to most of the league. We have been practicing inside and doing some things. We won't show what we're doing the first four weeks of the preseason."
- It is currently unclear whether McCarthy will hold out the starters during preseason. "I haven't gone that far yet. We'll get through today and we'll get play times out Saturday before practice. My goal for play time is you want all your young guys to play. We want to make sure all young guys get a chance tos how what they can do."
- Asked about the missed interception opportunities during Wednesday's practice, McCarthy responded, "We've gotten our hands on a few balls. You get the quarterback off the spot. Good to see secondary bringing them in. We had some opportunities."
That's all for McCarthy. Keep your internet machines tuned to Acme Packing Company for the latest Packers news and developments.