clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Packers-Seahawks Final Score: Seattle Advances to Super Bowl in 28-22 Overtime Win

The Packers dominated the football game for 55 minutes. It wasn't enough.

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

The Packers held a 19-7 lead with just over two minutes left in the game. They forced five turnovers, including four interceptions by Russell Wilson. And somehow, it wasn't enough.

Seattle scored twice in a span of 44 seconds late in the fourth quarter, capitalizing on a mistake by Brandon Bostick on an onside kick, to take a 22-19 lead. Though Aaron Rodgers and the Packers tied the game with seconds left, the defense could not hold on the first drive of overtime when Russell Wilson found Jermaine Kearse for a 35-yard touchdown to win the game 28-22.

First Quarter

On the first two drives of the game, the Packers and Seahawks traded interceptions. The Packers received the opening kickoff and drove the length of the field, thanks to both Eddie Lacy and some Aaron Rodgers passes. However, when entering field goal range, Aaron Rodgers tried to throw deep to Davante Adams with Richard Sherman in coverage; Sherman undercut the route and recorded an interception in the end zone.

However, Russell Wilson returned the favor on the ensuing drive. After stops on first and second down, Wilson dropped back to pass on third and seven, but his throw was tipped and intercepted by Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and returned inside the red zone. However, the Packers could not find the end zone, as they elected to take a field goal on fourth-and-goal from the one-yard line instead, and Crosby gave the Packers a 3-0 lead.

The Packers' special teams made a huge play on the kickoff, though, as Brad Jones forced a fumble on returner Doug Baldwin and Morgan Burnett recovered. Yet again, though, McCarthy had a fourth and goal from the two but elected to kick a field goal for a 6-0 lead.

After a three and out forced partially by Julius Peppers' sack and pressure on third down, the Packers got the ball back near midfield and finally found the end zone. Rodgers picked up first downs on throws to Jordy Nelson and Richard Rodgers. Aaron drew the Seahawks offside but found Randall Cobb in the back of the end zone for the first touchdown of the game, from 13 yards out and a 13-0 lead on the last play of the first quarter.

The Packers held the ball for 12:38 of the first quarter.

Second Quarter

Another three and out for the Seahawks set up the Packers with good field position, and Micah Hyde came up with a great return as well. An illegal hands to the face penalty on the Seahawks' Cliff Avril kept the drive alive. However, the drive stalled again and Crosby hit his third field goal of the game to make it a 16-0 lead.

The two teams traded interceptions once again, with Ha Ha Clinton-Dix picking off Russell Wilson again and Rodgers getting crossed up with Jordy Nelson and throwing a pick to Byron Maxwell.

The Seahawks finally sustained a drive though, but the Packers' defense forced a huge play yet again. After Marshawn Lynch started to get the ground game going, Russell Wilson tried a throw to Jermaine Kearse in the front corner of the end zone, but Sam Shields was in perfect position and picked off the pass, Wilson's third turnover of the day.

Following Shields' pick, both teams were unsuccessful at moving the ball and ran out the remainder of the first half.

Third Quarter

To start the second half, both teams went three and out.

Marshawn Lynch started to get angry on the Seahawks' second drive of the game and began to run the ball effectively. A Clay Matthews sack drove Seattle back to a third and 19, but a wide-open Doug Baldwin converted the first down. Then, after stopping the Seahawks on third and ten inside the 20, the Seahawks pulled off a fake field goal, with Jon Ryan throwing to reserve offensive tackle Garry Gilliam for a 19-yard touchdown to put the Seahawks on the board and cut the Packers' lead to 16-7.

The Seahawks' defense came up big on the next drive, holding the Packers to a three and out. Rodgers missed Eddie Lacy on a screen pass after rolling his ankle a bit, eliminating what could have been a big play for the Packers' offense. But another three-and-out by Seattle gave the Packers the ball again.

Fourth Quarter

James Starks gave the Packers a jolt on the first play of the quarter, busting out for a 32-yard run to get the Packers past midfield. On that play, Richard Sherman's left arm got pinned between Kam Chancellor and Starks, and he had visible issues with it for quite a while. The Packers couldn't take advantage once getting to the 30-yard line though, and Mason Crosby's 48-yard field goal extended the Packers' lead to 19-7.

Seattle picked up first downs early on the next drive with a throw to Ricardo Lockette and a pair of runs by Marshawn Lynch. However, a sack by Morgan Burnett and pass breakups by Clinton-Dix and Casey Hayward forced a punt from midfield. The Packers took over with just under 7 minutes to go. Unfortunately, the Packers went three-and-out after a pair of runs and a drop by Andrew Quarless on third and five.

And it took just one play for the Packers to come up with the stop.

Morgan Burnett recorded the fourth Packers' interception of the game, this one coming off another Jermaine Kearse tip, giving the Packers the ball back with five minutes left at their own 35. The Packers ran the ball three straight times to deplete the Seahawks' timeouts before punting with 3:52 to go.

First downs by Lynch and Doug Baldwin got the Hawks over midfield quickly. Then a floater from Wilson to Lynch was originally ruled a touchdown, but upon review it was ruled that he stepped out at the nine-yard line. Wilson eventually scored on a one-yard run, but another 45 second or so went off the clock thanks to the review.

However, the Seahawks recovered the ensuing onside kick after it bounced off Brandon Bostick's hands. A Wilson read-option gave up a big gain on the first play, and a short Marshawn Lynch run took the clock down to the 2-minute warning. A first down from Wilson to Luke Willson set up the big play - a 24-yard touchdown by Marshawn Lynch that gave the Seahawks their first lead of the game. A prayer by Wilson to Willson on the two-point conversion gave the Seahawks a three-point lead.

Rodgers picked up a quick first down to Nelson. Then another to Cobb over midfield. Then a Rodgers run wide open to the right for a first down. Incomplete pass to Lacy, incomplete to Richard Rodgers Then a short throw to Jordy Nelson, but that brought Mason Crosby on for a 48-yard field goal. He drilled it down the middle to tie the game at 22.

A squib kick by Crosby left 11 second on the clock, and the Seahawks took a knee to send the game to overtime.


The Seahawks won the toss. After a short gain by Lynch, Wilson found Baldwin for a 10-yard gain and a first down. Two plays later on third and six, Wilson found Baldwin again for a big gain after burning Casey Hayward on a double move. The Seahawks picked up 35 and got to the Packers' 35. On the next play, Wilson found Jermaine Kearse over the middle for the game-winning touchdown.

Seattle awaits the winner of Indianapolis-New England in Super Bowl XLIX.