On Thursday, May 28th, the Green Bay Packers held the first of their Organized Team Activities practices that was open to the public. As such, we learned the first little bits of information about the 2015 squad, and we are able to piece together some early ideas of how the depth chart currently sets up.
Here are a series of critical notes from today's practice, compiled from the reports from the Packers' beat writers in attendance at today's practice.
The following players were not practicing (for the following reasons):
- DL Josh Boyd (unknown, in attendance but not participating)
- CB Casey Hayward (unknown, in attendance but not participating)
- QB Brett Hundley (NFLPA Rookie Premiere)
- WR Ty Montgomery (NFLPA Rookie Premiere)
- WR Jordy Nelson (unknown)
- OLB Mike Neal (unknown, in attendance but not participating)
- OLB Nick Perry (unknown, in attendance but not participating)
- OLB Julius Peppers (illness)
- OLB James Vaughters (NFL graduation rules)
Players who were back at practice after tearing ACLs last season were wide receiver Jared Abbrederis, offensive lineman Don Barclay, and outside linebacker Andy Mulumba.
There were a few interesting notes as far as position groups go:
- Micah Hyde was working with the safeties, not the cornerbacks.
- Clay Matthews was working with the inside linebackers, not the outside backers.
- Players taking reps on punt returns included Micah Hyde, Randall Cobb, Jared Abbrederis, and rookie Quinten Rollins.
- Rollins was also working mainly inside as a slot corner.
The depth chart in team drills today was highly affected by the absences:
- With Hayward out, Demetri Goodson got the first reps at cornerback opposite Sam Shields. Micah Hyde was the primary slot corner.
- Adrian Hubbard and Jayrone Elliott were working with the starters at outside linebacker, and Matthews played inside for the whole first drive with the first-string.
- Letroy Guion took some snaps with the starters at the left defensive end position, with B.J. Raji at the nose and Mike Daniels on the right side.
The second-string inside linebacker tandem was Carl Bradford and rookie Jake Ryan, while the third group consisted of Joe Thomas and Nate Palmer. Tavarus Dantzler and Josh Francis made up the fourth unit. (Sorry Dantzler fans - this is the only news about him during today's practice.)
Micah Hyde earned play of the day honors for a diving interception of a Scott Tolzien pass that was intended for wide receiver Javess Blue.
Our thanks to the beat reporters who covered practice, including the following:
Rob Demovsky (ESPN)
Tyler Dunne (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel)
Wes Hodkiewicz (Green Bay Press-Gazette)
Dan Koob (WGBA-TV)
Lori Nickel (MJS)
Jason Wilde (ESPN Wisconsin)
Ryan Wood (GBPG)