The Green Bay Packers were back on the practice field on Tuesday after a layoff of a few days, and the team got some great news before practice - three players who had been sidelined due to injury were cleared to practice yesterday evening and returned in a big way.
The Packers’ biggest free agent acquisition in years was one of those players, and he wasted no time in impressing the fans, the coaches, and his quarterback. Likewise, a second-year receiver who is back on the field after nearly ten months off had a good day as well, hauling in multiple touchdowns.
Here’s a look at some of the big events from Tuesday evening.
- As mentioned above, the Packers got a nice boost today, as three players came off the PUP list and practiced: wide receiver Ty Montgomery, tight end Jared Cook, and inside linebacker Sam Barrington.
- Unfortunately, a couple of top offensive linemen sat out on Tuesday night - center JC Tretter and right tackle Bryan Bulaga - as well as inside linebacker Jake Ryan.
- Cook started his practice in strong fashion, making a great catch 20 yards down field on a throw from Aaron Rodgers, just a few plays into team drills.
- Also impressing tonight were Jared Abbrederis, who had multiple highlight-reel-caliber catches, and Geronimo Allison, who seems to be far ahead of any of the other rookie receivers in terms of his offensive production.
- Ty Montgomery was working on returns today, and he had a nice touchdown reception from Rodgers midway through practice shortly before catching another score from Joe Callahan. He also was getting some work out of the backfield, similar to the position that Randall Cobb occupies on occasion.
- At one point, the Packers’ first-team offense ripped off three straight touchdowns - the one to Montgomery, followed by grabs by Davante Adams and Cook both up the middle of the field.
- Despite all that, though, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel’s Tom Silverstein called out Randall Cobb as having the best day of any of the receivers, many of whom dropped passes late in practice.
- It wasn’t all offense, though - Barrington blew up a screen pass in his first practice while Morgan Burnett forced a fumble on Eddie Lacy in the red zone.
The Packers will return to the practice field on Wednesday at 11:45 AM Central.