On Thursday night following his team’s 20-12 victory over the Oakland Raiders, Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy discussed a variety of topics from the game in his press conference with the media. McCarthy was asked about the injury status of quarterback Brett Hundley, who left the game after re-injuring his ankle, and Jordy Nelson, who returned from the PUP list on Wednesday.
McCarthy also addressed the results of the game and was asked about a few players in particular who made big plays,
- Brett Hundley’s doing good, just saw him in the locker room. He re-injured the ankle, same as the last time. We don’t think its as bad as the original injury.
- That was a very good start to the game and that’s what we’re looking for ... we took a step from last week to this week ... I do know we did better than we did last week.
- (Hundley) was going to play as long as he could in the first half. It’s unfortunate ... he’s a young player. He has the opportunity to be our number 2 quarterback. Yeah, these are valuable reps (that he missed).
- Davante (Adams) is having a very good camp. That’s what you see, he’s healthy. He’s taking a step. He’s kind of in line with our whole team. I thought our whole team took a step in the right direction today.
- (On whether the Raiders were showing the Packers simple schemes:) I wouldn’t say they’re vanilla. They’re empty formations, they’re shifting ... schematically I would say they challenged us from their offense to our defense ... I thought (the Packers defense’s) pursuit and finish was a step in the direction we needed to take.
- It was great work for a lot of our young guys to play against their starting defense.
- (On Jordy Nelson suiting up in pads for warmups:) It’s all part of the process. Good to see him pass the physical and get some practice time in individual work ... I think we’ll probably stay with that format with Jordy next week.
- I thought both punters punted better today and needed to from last week. That’s heating up and we’ll continue to split the reps and let Tim (Masthay) and Peter (Mortell) battle it out.
- (On Damarious Randall’s interception:) Big time play. Tracking the ball, I think he shows you what kind of playmaker he is, and his return ability when he got up ... I think our players keyed on the ball better than we did (against) Cleveland.
- (On the decision of Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers to interview with the NFL:) I’m just glad the process is moving forward ... as an organization we support Clay and Julius and we’re looking forward to getting it resolved as soon as possible.
- (On Joe Callahan’s performance:) I thought Joe played well. Just the 4th and 1, I think he got a little fooled on the route out to his right, just the depth of it.
The Packers will have an off day on Friday before returning to the practice field on Saturday.