One of the unfortunate parts of the NFL occurs this week, as over a dozen NFL hopefuls will see their dreams put on hold, perhaps permanently. The Green Bay Packers as well as the league’s other 31 teams must reduce their roster to 75 players by the Aug. 30 deadline.
The Packers began their cuts early, releasing wide receiver Ed Williams Sunday evening. Williams spent all of the 2015 season on the team’s practice squad and entered training camp as a dark horse to make the 53-man roster. More moves could come before Tuesday, possibly including some more among the wideouts.
After this initial wave of cuts, Green Bay and the rest of the league must go through the process again shorter after the conclusion of the final week of preseason games. At that point, the front office can begin assembling the team’s 10-man practice squad.
Below are the Packers’ cuts in advance of the Aug. 30 deadline:
Released on August 29th
- Ed Williams, WR (team press release)
- Peter Mortell, P (team press release)
- Demetris Anderson, DL (team press release)
- Randall Jette, CB (team press release)
- Jamel Johnson, WR (team press release)
- Derrick Mathews, LB (team press release)
Released on August 30th
- Released: Harvey Binford, WR (press release)
- Traded: Lerentee McCray, OLB (full article)
- On IR: Kennard Backman, TE (press release)
- On IR: John Crockett, RB (press release)
- On IR: Jacob Flores, C (press release)
- On IR: Mitchell Henry, TE (press release)
- On IR: Josh Walker, OL (press release)
- Released: Tim Masthay, P (cut and acquired P Jacob Schum, full article)