The weekend hasn't gone as planned for the Green Bay Packers, at least as it pertains to injuries. The team has ruled out star pass rusher Clay Matthews and veteran safety Morgan Burnett in advance of Sunday's NFC North tilt with the Detroit Lions.
Matthews, who dealt with ankle and hamstring issues during last week's game against the Minnesota Vikings, did not participate in practice all week while recovering. Likewise, Morgan Burnett couldn't find his way onto the practice field due to his groin injury. The Packers will most likely use a rotation of players to replace Matthews while Micah Hyde should receive most of the work in place of Burnett.
Starting right guard T.J. Lang enters Sunday as questionable to play after participating on a limited basis during Friday's practice. If he cannot go, veteran backup Don Barclay appears the most likely candidate to replace him.
Nothing has changed with top cornerback Sam Shields. He remains in the league's concussion protocol and won't return until after Green Bay's Week 4 bye.
Here is the full injury report for both teams:
· Ezekiel Ansah, DE (ankle)
· DeAndre Levy, LB (quadriceps)
· Antwione Williams, LB (hamstring)
· Adairius Barnes, CB (ankle)
· Eric Ebron, TE (back)
· Wallace Gilberry, DE (abdomen)
· Riley Reiff, OT (ankle)
· Devin Taylor, DE (ankle)
· Kyle Van Noy, LB (calf)
· Tyrunn Walker, DT (calf)
· Larry Warford, G (illness)
· Morgan Burnett, S (groin)
· Clay Matthews, LB (ankle/hamstring)
· Sam Shields, CB (concussion)
· Letroy Guion, DT (knee)
· Datone Jones, LB/DE (knee)
· T.J. Lang, G (questionable)