Several NFL players are finding themselves out of work this week as the league’s 32 teams have begun to trim high-priced players from their rosters. Cap casualty season is underway in full force as of Tuesday, with a handful of players being informed of their release.
Every NFL team must be below the 2018 salary cap number as of the start of the new league year on March 14th and although that number has not been confirmed officially yet, most estimates put it at about $178 million. With that deadline just about three weeks away, teams are beginning to make those moves to set themselves up for flexibility in the free agent market.
Players released in this manner need not wait for March 14th to sign with other teams, however. Instead, they are free to negotiate free agent deals with new teams immediately, and in fact one player has already done so.
Before the cuts that were announced on Tuesday, a pair of notable cornerbacks were released about two weeks ago: the Raiders released David Amerson (who has already inked a one-year contract with the Chiefs) while the Chiefs cut Darrelle Revis.
Here’s the list of notable cap casualties and the cap room that their former teams are saving for 2018 by releasing these players from their rosters. Stay tuned as we will keep this list updated with news of additional cuts as they come in.
- DE Muhammad Wilkerson (Jets) — cap savings: $11M (to be officially released March 5, expected to meet with Packers)
- RB Matt Forte (Jets — retiring) — cap savings: $3M
- QB Mike Glennon (Bears) — cap savings: $11.5M
- RB Jonathan Stewart (Panthers) — cap savings: $3.72M
- S Kurt Coleman (Panthers) — cap savings: $2.65M (source)
- DE Charles Johnson (Panthers) — cap savings: $3.25M (source)
- OLB Pernell McPhee (Bears) — cap savings: $7.075M
- S Quintin Demps (Bears) — cap savings: $3.26M
- RB Doug Martin (Buccaneers) — cap savings: $6.75M
- DT Chris Baker (Buccaneers) — cap savings: $4.875M
- ILB Jerrell Freeman (Bears) — cap savings: $3.46M
- ILB Brian Cushing (Texans) — cap savings: $7.64M
- G Josh Sitton (Bears declined option) — cap savings: $8M
- CB Darrelle Revis (Chiefs) — cap savings: $4.5M
- CB David Amerson (Raiders) — Cap savings: $8.5M (signed 1-year contract with Chiefs)