The Green Bay Packers’ front office under Ted Thompson led the charge in the mid- to late-2000s in the advent of workout bonuses for veteran contracts. By incorporating these bonuses into their players’ deals, the Packers effectively guaranteed that their full roster would be in attendance for the entirety of the offseason workout program, including rehab, OTAs, and minicamp.
This year, Brian Gutekunst is the general manager, but little should change in the team’s preferred contract structures. After all, Russ Ball remains the team’s primary contract negotiator and Gutekunst worked his way up in the ranks under Thompson, so little will change in the team’s typical templates. Therefore, in 2018 the Packers are scheduled to pay out an impressive number in workout bonuses: just under $4.7 million in total, down a few hundred thousand dollars from last year’s total of about $4.9 million. The team’s top individual number is a half-million dollars, which is the stipulated amount for four of the team’s top players.
Oddly, the Packers have been able to work in workout bonuses for each of the team’s recent third-round draft picks. Last year, Montravius Adams was the final player to sign his deal of the draft class and linebacker Oren Burks, also a third-round pick, was the final Packers rookie to sign his deal this year as well. We do not yet know for sure if Burks has a workout bonus in his contract, but it is possible that he may have one in the range of $15,000, which was the rough amount given to the team’s last two third-rounders.
Here is the full list of players with workout bonuses, thanks to contract details from Overthecap.com (and excluding Burks for the reasons described above):
- $500,000 (4): QB Aaron Rodgers, OLB Clay Matthews, LT David Bakhtiari, WR Davante Adams
- $400,000 (3): WR Randall Cobb, OLB Nick Perry, DL Mike Daniels
- $350,000 (1): C Corey Linsley
- $250,000 (3): RT Bryan Bulaga, TE Jimmy Graham, LG Lane Taylor
- $150,000 (1): K Mason Crosby
- $100,000 (1): CB Tramon Williams
- $75,000 (1): TE Lance Kendricks
- $30,000 (1): DL Muhammad Wilkerson
- $15,500 (1): OLB Kyler Fackrell
- $15,000 (1): DL Montravius Adams
- $12,000 (1): RB Ty Montgomery