One of the Green Bay Packers’ most impressive players this preseason has apparently done enough to impress the team’s coaching staff and front office and assure him of a spot on the roster. That player is outside linebacker Reggie Gilbert, who is a surprise scratch in the team’s fourth and final preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs.
Gilbert has been the team’s most consistent edge rusher through the first three games and has earned the spot as the primary backup behind Nick Perry and Clay Matthews. Although Matthews is a healthy scratch, Perry is active for tonight’s game, his first game action of the summer. Perry spent a few weeks on the PUP list before being activated for practice prior to last week’s game against the Raiders.
Also sitting tonight is running back Devante Mays, who is in a battle with a few other players for a reserve spot behind Jamaal Williams, Ty Montgomery, and Aaron Jones. Mays has not played at all this preseason due to a hamstring injury, but he had returned to the practice field this week and was widely expected to play. Jones, Joel Bouagnon, LeShun Daniels, and Bronson Hill will take handoffs tonight.
Here is the full list of inactive players for the Packers tonight:
- QB: Aaron Rodgers
- WR: Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Jake Kumerow
- RB: Devante Mays, Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams
- TE: Jimmy Graham, Marcedes Lewis
- OL: David Bakhtiari, Corey Linsley, Kyle Murphy
- DL: Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels, Muhammad Wilkerson
- LB: Reggie Gilbert, Oren Burks, Blake Martinez, Clay Matthews,
- S: Kentrell Brice, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
- CB: Tramon Williams