It’s unofficially open at the top of the hour — free agency is beginning in earnest for the 2019 offseason today. No, unrestricted free agents cannot start signing contracts with new teams yet, but their agents can officially begin negotiating with teams around the NFL as of 12 noon on Monday, which marks the start of the league’s so-called “legal tampering period.”
With this phase of free agency underway, the Green Bay Packers are sure to be the subject of numerous reports and newsworthy items over the next few days. The team seems to be in the market for help on the front seven of the defense, at safety, and on the offensive line, among other spots. With around $35 million in salary cap space to use (for now), general manager Brian Gutekunst has ample resources to add a few key veteran players to the Packers’ roster at essential positions.
Meanwhile, the Packers’ targets are sure to get plenty of attention from other teams as well, and news should be flying quickly starting on Monday afternoon. We’ll keep you up-to-date with all of the news and reports that affect the Packers here until free agency officially begins at 4:00 PM Eastern on Wednesday.
Packers-related news & rumors
- RE-SIGNING: TE Marcedes Lewis will re-sign with the Packers on a one-year deal (full article)
- RFA TENDER: WR Geronimo Allison received a right of first refusal tender from the Packers for one year and $2.025M. The Packers can now match any offer sheet he may receive from another team (full article)
- RELEASE: The Packers are cutting OLB Nick Perry as a conventional release. This will save the team approximately $3.3M in salary cap space in 2019, and they will not have any further cap charge for him after this year (full article)
- SIGNING: Packers and OL Billy Turner (formerly of the Broncos) agree to a contract for 4 years and $28M (full article)
- SIGNING: Packers agree to sign OLB Preston Smith (formerly of Washington) to a 4-year, $52M deal (full article here)
- SIGNING: Safety Adrian Amos (formerly of the Bears) will sign with the Packers for 4 years, $37M (full article here)
- SIGNING: OLB Za’Darius Smith (formerly of the Ravens) will sign with the Packers, per Ian Rapoport. Contract is reportedly for 4 years, $66M (full article here)
- Packers are reported to be in the running for former Bears safety Adrian Amos, per Packer Report
- Packers were in the running for DL Malik Jackson (cut by Jaguars) shortly before he signed with the Eagles for 3 years, $30M total
- Green Bay remains interested in trading for Chiefs OLB Dee Ford (who received the franchise tag). However, they reportedly hope to wait until the “first wave” of free agency concludes, per Albert Breer of SI.
- The Packers once tried to trade for OLB Za’Darius Smith from the Ravens, per Peter King. Smith is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday, suggesting that Green Bay will be interested in him.
- The Packers are a team to “keep an eye on” regarding WR/RB/KR Cordarrelle Patterson (formerly of the Patriots), per NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.
- The Packers are interested in bringing back UFA safety Ibraheim Campbell closer to training camp, per Michael Cohen. He likely would not be able to pass a physical and sign until the summer.
- The Packers will tender Reggie Gilbert and Justin McCray, per Rob Demovsky.
- The Packers will also tender backup offensive lineman Lucas Patrick, also per Rob Demovsky.