The Green Bay Packers suited up for their third practice of the 2014 training camp in full pads on Monday morning, and as expected the intensity went up a few notches. In addition to a minor scrum or two, it sounded like players at all positions were eager to get some hard work in.
Here's our notebook running down the top newsworthy items from today's practice.
- Your injury update for the day: DE Jerel Worthy, DE/OLB Mike Neal, OLB Nick Perry, ILB Jamari Lattimore and WR Jeff Janis. Lattimore was out with an illness. This was the first time Janis was in attendance at practice, though he was still not participating. DT Letroy Guion was in pads but did not practice. G T.J. Lang was dealing with back issues and worked in individual drills but sat out all but a handful of snaps in the team portion of practice (TS).
- The team worked on kick returns for the first time in camp today, with DuJuan Harris taking the first return, followed by rookies Rajion Neal and Ladarius Perkins, and then last year's returner Micah Hyde (PD). WR Kevin Dorsey also took some returns as well (WH).
- The first-team defensive line in the base defense consisted of Mike Daniels, B.J. Raji, and Josh Boyd (not Datone Jones) (TS).
- Safety Sean Richardson recorded the first interception of camp, picking off Aaron Rodgers on a throw to Jordy Nelson over the middle (RD).
- Myles White had the best day in one-on-one drills against the cornerbacks with a pair of nice receptions, while Sam Shields picked off Matt Flynn while covering Davante Adams (TD).
- Julius Peppers impressed in his first padded practice with the team, beating Derek Sherrod on a bull-rush in team drills (TS). However, Bryan Bulaga looked up to the challenge of facing Peppers, beating him multiple times in 1-on-1 drills (TD).
- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix took some snaps with Morgan Burnett on defense, though it appeared to be a defense consisting of both starters and backups (RD).
- We got our first A.J. Hawk helmet loss of the year (RD).
- In 1-on-1 line drills, B.J. Raji reportely looked good, beating JC Tretter multiple times (WH). Datone Jones was also mentioned as having success (PI).
- The Packers used a couple of different personnel groupings in the dime formation today. One had Burnett and Clinton-Dix at safety, Sam Shields and Davon House outside, and Tramon Williams and Micah Hyde in the slot (JW); the other had Williams moving back outside in place of House, with Casey Hayward in the slot (PD).
- Jake Stoneburner may have made the catch of the day, with a one-handed grab from a bad angle (PI, RD).
- Things got heated in a no-huddle drill late in practice. After a nice gain on a pass from Rodgers to Jarrett Boykin (TS), Mike McCarthy yanked Datone Jones off the field for getting into a scrum with Don Barclay (RD). Boykin hauled in another long ball from Rodgers to end the period (RD).
Thanks as always to the beat writers covering practice live from camp:
TS: Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TD: Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
RD: Rob Demovsky, ESPN
JW: Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
WH: Wes Hodkiewicz, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PD: Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PI: Paul Imig, FOX Sports Wisconsin