The Packers were on the field for their fifth practice of the 2014 Training Camp on Thursday morning, and their third practice in full pads. Here are a handful of notes from today's practice.
- Safety Morgan Burnett was not in pads today, and did not participate in practice (JW). Fellow safety Tanner Miller also sat out, and reportedly also tweaked his ankle on Wednesday like Burnett did (WH). Jerel Worthy, Letroy Guion, and Jeff Janis were still out (PD), but outside linebacker Nick Perry was finally back in pads and practicing, meaning he has been taken off the PUP list (WH).
- Referee, lawyer, and walking gun show Ed Hochuli was in attendance at practice today to go over the rulebook. One point of emphasis was the new focus on defensive holding and pass interference calls, which at one point got Davon House very agitated in one-on-one drills (TS).
- Sean Richardson recorded another interception early on, off a Matt Flynn pass (PI) that was deflected by House (TS). He also laid a thunderous hit on rookie Richard Rodgers along the sideline (PI).
- DuJuan Harris got the first crack at returning kickoffs once again today (TS), as it appears the team is going to give him every chance to win that job. Micah Hyde and Randall Cobb were the next two returners (TS).
- Lacy took a swing pass to the house for an 80-yard touchdown early in practice (RD).
- At one point, both Mike Neal and Nick Perry wore working in a team drill at outside linebacker, with Clay Matthews also on the field (RD). Look for a lot of different personnel groupings in the linebacker unit this year.
- Jordy Nelson is good. He caught a deep heave from Aaron Rodgers, despite near-perfect coverage from Casey Hayward (TS).
- Rookie running back Ladarius Perkins was getting noticed today, with a few nice plays showing his athleticism and shiftiness (TD).
- Mike Daniels is a beast, and today he beat Josh Sitton in a one-on-one pass-rush drill (WH). After struggling the last few days, JC Tretter beat B.J. Raji in their first matchup of the day (JW).
- Chris Harper dropped a likely touchdown from Flynn after getting wide open on a post route (RD). Jarrett Boykin also had a bad drop on a big gain during the no-huddle drill (PI).
- Scott Tolzien missed a few easy passes today, including throwing low and behind to an open Andrew Quarless (RD), though he bounced back a little later with some better throws (WH). Meanwhile, Matt Flynn's accuracy was solid, even if his arm strength is noticably less than the other Packers' QBs (PI).
- Wide receiver Alex Gillett was impressive today, hauling in a big reception from Matt Flynn over rookie Demetri Goodson (WH).
- Inside linebacker Joe Thomas took a few snaps with the starting defense in the no huddle (RD).
Thanks as always to the beat writers covering practice live from camp:
TS: Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TD: Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
RD: Rob Demovsky, ESPN
JW: Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
WH: Wes Hodkiewicz, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PD: Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PI: Paul Imig, FOX Sports Wisconsin