The Green Bay Packers were back in front of the public for Tuesday's practice after moving inside on Monday. The backup quarterbacks weren't the focal point like they were yesterday, as the big news involved some shuffling of the depth chart as several players were working with different units than what they were used to from previous practices.
- Letroy Guion is still out (WH). At this point, it seems quite possible that he may not practice throughout the preseason and would stay Non-Football Injury list to start the season (which has almost identical rules to the PUP list). Rajion Neal was still out, as well as ILB Joe Thomas (TD). This was in addition to Brandon Bostick and the usual suspects (Lyerla, Abbrederis, and Barclay).
- The first big play of the day went to tight end Jake Stoneburner, who was working with the starting offense (partially due to Brandon Bostick's injury) and caught a long pass up the seam from Aaron Rodgers (TS).
- Datone Jones made a big play on a Scott Tolzien rollout, stripping the ball from the quarterback's hands (WH). The play came under criticism from the coaching staff, though, as it was a little too much contact to a quarterback to their liking (JW).
- Jayrone Elliott had a big step up today in his standing on the depth chart. He began the period working with the primary defensive unit outdoors instead of the scout team inside (TS) and later he was spotted on the top punt coverage team in the position typically belonging to Ryan Taylor or Brandon Bostick (RD). Those opportunities are good signs for the rookie's chances at making the team.
- On kick returns, Taylor took Bostick's spot (WH) while DuJuan Harris got the first reps returning kicks, with Jeff Janis next up (JW).
- The starting offense struggled a bit in a red zone period, as Aaron Rodgers missed an open Jordy Nelson and then Jarrett Boykin dropped a wide-open pass from Rodgers (RD).
- Mason Crosby got some kicking practice in today, and he was 5-for-6. His longest was 53 yards, and his only miss game wide right from 44 (RD).
- Casey Hayward appeared to be held out of most of practice today, even beyond the usual of him not being in with the number 1 defense in the dime package (TS). That will be something to keep an eye on as the week goes along. T.J. Lang also dropped out of practice late in the day and was spotted icing down his shoulder (TD).
- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix got some snaps ahead of Micah Hyde today with the starters in at least one period, while Hyde worked with Sean Richardson and the #2 defense (RD).
- Corey Linsley took some snaps with the scout team line at guard after an injury to Jordan McCray (TS), and then moved to center with Garth Gerhart at guard (JW).
- Mike Pennel continued to make plays, knocking down a Matt Flynn pass at the line of scrimmage (JW).
As always, our thanks to the tireless beat reporters on the scene:
TS: Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TD: Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
RD: Rob Demovsky, ESPN
JW: Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
WH: Wes Hodkiewicz, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PD: Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PI: Paul Imig, FOX Sports Wisconsin