On Monday, the Green Bay Packers took to Ray Nitschke Field for the second of two open practices in this, the final week of the preseason. As expected, it appeared that the team spent much of the day preparing for the Kansas City Chiefs to come to town on Thursday, as quarterback Aaron Rodgers mostly took snaps with the scout team.
Here are our big notes from today's practice.
- It's a preseason miracle! Just as B.J. Raji goes down for the year, Letroy Guion returned to practice off the Non-Football Injury list today (JW). Expect him to get a decent amount of playing time on Thursday against the Chiefs to get him ready for the regular season and for the coaching staff to evaluate him as best they can in a limited amount of time.
- Guion made a pretty big splash play early on, charging into the backfield to blow up a run by Ladarius Perkins in team drills (PI) and impressing just about everyone on half-line drills (JW).
- At inside linebacker, Jamari Lattimore was starting on the right side in place of Brad Jones, who sat out yesterday's and today's practices (TD). Sam Barrington came in as the dime backer, however (TD).
- One other absence at practice was cornerback Demetri Goodson, who reportedly has a concussion (WH).
- A day after Scott Tolzien started the day with the scout team, Matt Flynn did the same on Monday, a sign to many of the beat reporters that the competition between the two is incredibly close. However, Flynn took the first snaps with the starting offense when they took the field for red zone drills (TD). Aaron Rodgers was taking exclusively scout team reps today, as he is likely to do all week (WH). It appears the team feels no need to have him play on Thursday just to get used to a new center.
- Davante Adams recorded a pair of touchdown grabs in red zone drills (TD).
- It appears that Josh Sitton is the backup center if something were to happen to Corey Linsley, as he was the only other player to take snaps at the position with the starting offensive line (RD). However, he was also practicing his snaps to Rodgers in some individual work, so that may be more than just a backup plan (JW).
- Carl Bradford, whom many had projected would be moving to inside linebacker, finally took a few snaps at that position in practice today, his first of camp (WH). However, fellow outside linebacker Nate Palmer did the same (RD), so it is inconclusive if it is a sign that the coaches plan on actually moving Bradford there.
- Jake Stoneburner is having his best week when he needs it most; after a big day on Friday against the Raiders, he hauled in a nice long catch from Tolzien in practice today (TD) and laid a crushing block on Adrian Hubbard in a run drill (TD).
- As part of the scout team, Rodgers hit tight end Justin Perillo (WH) and Jarrett Boykin (JW) for long touchdowns.
- Myles White, fighting for one of the last wide receiver spots, dropped a pair of catchable passes early on in practice but later caught a touchdown pass (TD).
- Through a rough, "gusty" wind, Mason Crosby missed on three of his eight field goal attempts - however, his misses were from 38-46 yards while he made from 48, 53, and 55 (RD).
That's it from the second-to-last open practice of training camp. As always, our thanks go out to those covering practice in person:
TS: Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TD: Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
RD: Rob Demovsky, ESPN
JW: Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
WH: Wes Hodkiewicz, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PD: Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PI: Paul Imig, FOX Sports Wisconsin