On Wednesday, the Green Bay Packers closed down the open portion of their 2014 training camp with their last practice before Thursday's final preseason game and Saturday's roster cuts.
In today's session, the Packers rested almost all of their key starters, a sign that few of them will play tomorrow night. Practically the entire first-string offense was sitting out of team drills today, as the second-teamers got their final preparations in for the Chiefs. Here are the other major items
- Inside linebacker Brad Jones continued to sit out today (TD), along with Brandon Bostick, Demetri Goodson, and JC Tretter (WH).
- Rookie linebacker Carl Bradford spent warmups with the inside linebacker unit instead of outside this morning (RW), which may be a sign that the coaching staff will try playing him at that position tomorrow night. Indeed, both Bradford and Nate Palmer were practicing at the position later on (WH).
- Casey Hayward was active today, intercepting a Scott Tolzien pass in the end zone (TD). The cornerbacks with the starting defense were Casey Hayward and Davon House (PI), perhaps a sign that Tramon Williams and Sam Shields will be sitting out the final preseason game.
- At nose tackle, Letroy Guion took the first snaps in team drills ahead of Josh Boyd (RW).
- Mason Crosby was perfect on his three field goal attempts, all from 43 yards or shorter (TD).
- Kickoff return reps went in order to DuJuan Harris, Jeff Janis, and then Kevin Dorsey, who fumbled once (PI). On punts, it was Davante Adams, Micah Hyde, and Janis (TD).
- Adams had some of the plays of the day, showing off his impressive leaping ability in the end zone on a touchdown reception from Tolzien (WH) and later making a diving catch in the end zone (RW).
- Each center and quarterback candidate messed up a snap today - Matt Flynn couldn't get on the same page as Corey Linsley, while Josh Sitton and Tolzien dropped one as well (PI).
As always, our sincere thanks go out to all of the reporters who have diligently kept us up to date on the Packers' training camp practices throughout the summer.
TS: Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TD: Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
RD: Rob Demovsky, ESPN
JW: Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
WH: Wes Hodkiewicz, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PD: Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette
RW: Ryan Wood, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PI: Paul Imig, FOX Sports Wisconsin