On Tuesday, the Green Bay Packers took the field once again for a practice session in full pads. Unfortunately, the Packers' recent string of bad luck with injuries appears to have continued, with a key player suffering an injury that looked more serious than any other to this point in the team's 2014 Training Camp.
Here's your notebook from the early afternoon practice.
- Here's your attendance report: LB Brad Jones returned to practice, but S Morgan Burnett stayed out. Still out were DLs Letroy Guion Jerel Worthy, RB Michael Hill (WH), and S Tanner Miller (RD), along with the obvious players with serious injuries in WR Jared Abbrederis and TE Colt Lyerla.
- The big news today was backup offensive lineman Don Barclay going down with a right leg injury while blocking rookie linebacker Adrian Hubbard (RD). He was down for a few minutes getting medical attention (PI) and was eventually carted off the field (TD). If he is indeed seriously injured, that would significantly limit the flexibility and depth of the offensive line.
- The team started off with some special teams drills. The top kickoff coverage team consisted of DuJuan Harris, Chris Banjo, Sean Richardson, Davon House, Sam Shields, Jamari Lattimore, Jarrett Bush, Casey Hayward, Nate Palmer, and Ryan Taylor (TS).
- The punt coverage team consisted of House, Bush, Lattimore, Palmer, James Starks (subbing for Burnett), Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Brandon Bostick, and John Kuhn (WH). It's notable that Palmer is on both coverage teams ahead of any of the rookies.
- Taking punt returns were Randall Cobb, Micah Hyde, Myles White, and Tramon Williams (WH).
- On offense, Kevin Dorsey had a bad drop on an easy pass (WH) while Chris Harper bounced back from a poor drop on Saturday night to make a nice catch over the middle (TD).
- Jarrett Bush picked off Aaron Rodgers by jumping a route on a throw to Jarrett Boykin along the sideline (TS). Chris Banjo also broke up a pass from Matt Flynn to Ryan Taylor (TS). This was during a period in which the scout team defense was going up against the first-string offense (JW).
- Following Barclay's injury, Derek Sherrod took reps at right tackle in addition to his normal left tackle spot. He went 3-0 in one-on-one drills, two on the right side (PD).
Thanks as always to the beat writers covering practice live from camp:
TS: Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
TD: Tyler Dunne, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
RD: Rob Demovsky, ESPN
JW: Jason Wilde, ESPN Wisconsin
WH: Wes Hodkiewicz, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PD: Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette
PI: Paul Imig, FOX Sports Wisconsin