On Wednesday, the Green Bay Packers held their final open practice before their preseason opener, which is coming up this Saturday against the Tennessee Titans. We learned a little bit about the Packers' plans for their backup offensive line without Don Barclay, but thankfully the team did not have any other notable injuries in today's practice.
Here are the big notes from today's practice.
- Injury report: Safeties Morgan Burnett and Tanner Miller were still out today, as were defensive linemen Jerel Worthy and Letroy Guion (WH). Michael Hill was still out as well with a concussion (PI). Jeff Janis was in pads and practiced fully for the first time in camp (TS).
- The Packers' re-shuffled backup offensive line consisted of Derek Sherrod at right tackle and Lane Taylor at right guard, at least when they were going through a half-line drill (PI). He was working at both tackle spots in one-on-one drills, and was successful at both positions (TS). In team drills, Sherrod stayed at left tackle with the backup line while Aaron Adams manned the right tackle spot (TS).
- In sub formations, Davon House has been getting more playing time than Casey Hayward, which is a surprise. House plays on the outside while Tramon Williams shifts inside, and in some packages Micah Hyde drops down into the slot and is replaced by Sean Richardson at safety (TS).
- Two rookie wideouts made one-handed touchdown catches in a red zone period, as Jeff Janis and Davante Adams practically went back-to-back with highlight-reel plays (RD). Late in practice, Andrew Quarless made a leaping touchdown grab and Micah Hyde followed suit with a one-handed interception of a Chase Rettig pass (TD).
- Once again, DuJuan Harris got the reps with the top kickoff return team as the return man. Fellow running backs Rajion Neal and Ladarius Perkins also took some returns (PD).
- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has been missing some opportunities in the passing game, like a dropped interception today (RD), but he has been holding up well in run support, which he demonstrated with a big hit on Rajion Neal (WH). Clay Matthews also dropped a pick after reading a slant pass perfectly (TD).
- Ryan Taylor reportedly had a nice day on offense with a couple of catches, including a touchdown (JW).
- Mason Crosby hit all six of his field goal attempts on the day (RD).
- Many reporters noted that there was an unusually high number of dropped passes in today's practice.
There you have it for today's practice. Thanks to the beat reporters: