On Thursday night, Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson addressed the team's selection of defensive back Damarious Randall with the team's first round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. Here are a few quotes from Thompson's press conference.
- We feel fortunate we were able to get him that late.
- Good ball skills, heady, he's a good player.
- For some time now we've had him pretty high up on our board. The more you go back and look, he's just a good football player...we took a very good football player and we took him at a place that was very reasonable in terms of cost.
- There wasn't much conversation when it got to be our pick.
- Took a few, couple of teams were wanting to move back up at the end of the round. Obviously, we didn't do anything...quite frankly, some of the trade proposals to us were a little bit skewed in the other team's favor.
- I think he's got really good ball skills, he's got kind of a knack for catching the ball. He's capable of punt returns, he's played center field in junior college, which I think is a marvelous trait to have as a defensive back.
- It was told to me that he would have been their best corner, based on what was told to me (by the Sun Devils' coaches), their defense, the safety play is so important and crucial to the play of their defense that he had to play inside.
Clearly, Thompson feels confident that Randall has the ability to play cornerback at the next level, and sees that position as Randall's future. Furthermore, Thompson clearly felt that he got good value in picking Randall.
Stay tuned for quotes from Randall himself coming up.