Man, if you’re wondering if being down here in Mobile is more fun than being up in Wisconsin in the snow, you’re damn right it is.
Anyways, our beloved Teddy T was in the stands today in Mobile, and I’m sure was keeping note of who people liked so he wouldn’t take them. Anyways, let’s get right into it, here are some guys who stood out, in good ways and bad, on Wednesday.
- The QB’s continued to struggle a bit today, but Nate Peterman of Pittsburgh has clearly been the best thus far. Florida International’s Jonnu Smith caught an incredible ball from Peterman today. A guy who’s opinion on quarterbacks quite a bit said: “Peterman has been making the best throws of anyone here, but I’m still not sure that makes him good.”
- Kareem Hunt had a very good day in practice, including shaking Michigan’s Jourdan Lewis. Hunt is put together and does everything well. He’ll make a team really happy on Day 3.
- Amba Etta-Tawo of Syracuse had a hell of a time trying to catch the ball on Wednesday. He, Amara Darboh and Jalen Robinette of Air Force all struggled early, but got it together by the end of the day.
- Taylor Moton continues to impress. The large human being that played right tackle at Western Michigan is going to blow up the combine, he moves incredibly well for his size. He didn’t get beat today, either, in 1 on 1s.
- Temple’s Dion Dawkins and Iowa’s Jaleel Johnson are on a crash course to fight before this week is over. Both Tuesday and Wednesday there were some extra-curriculars after the reps. Dawkins has a very strong punch, and Johnson doesn’t like being blocked. Stay tuned.
- West Virginia’s center Tyler Orlosky has also played well. He gets his hands to his opponent’s chest and it’s over. I’m curious to see how he plays tomorrow, it could help his stock a bit.
- Hasson Reddick of Temple has been tearing up the practices so far. The collegiate pass rusher is playing at inside linebacker here in Mobile, but his pass rush reps today were nasty. He’s really good, and will be flying up boards.
- John Johnson of Boston College has also been playing well. He’s a very fluid athlete, and the former cornerback and safety has been making plays all over the place down here.
- Rasul Douglas of West Virginia has been opening some eyes down here as well. A long corner, Douglas had an interception and a few deflections during practice today. His length makes it difficult for these mediocre quarterbacks to complete longer passes on him.
- The South practice was run much more efficiently today, so that was welcome.
- Josh Dobbs was easily the best QB on the South today. He made a few nice throws to Alabama tight end OJ Howard who looks REAL good down here.
- Donnel Pumphrey like doesn’t go down. Despite being 170, he shugs off contact pretty consistently. He’s an intriguing prospect.
- Antonio Garcia looked a lot better in 1 on 1s today. The tackle from Troy has been lauded as one of the better prospects here, and he looked the part on Wednesday.
- LSU’s Ethan Pocic has really impressed me thus far. He won 1 on 1s today like he should, and has just looked very impressive and solid so far. He’ll be a Day 2 pick.
- Tanzel Smart of Tulane continued his hot streak, looking good again today in 1 on 1s. While he needs to add some weight to better anchor in the run game, he’s made some money the past two days.
- Baeshon Hall, I mean Daeshon, had another good day on Wednesday. He continues to win with inside moves, the South offensive tackles simply can’t keep up with the speedy rusher from Texas A&M.
- Alex Anzalone of Florida looked good at linebacker. He’s not a great athlete, but he’s solid enough and has the 2nd best hair here, right behind LSU’s Duke Riley.
- Marquez White of Florida State also impressed on Day 2. He was making plays all over the place, and is sticky in coverage. White will test well, and get more attention as the process moves along, I believe.