In the 2017 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers did what most fans and analysts expected - they drafted defense early and often. The team addressed every level of the defense within the first four picks, as they landed a cornerback, safety, defensive lineman, and outside linebacker in turn. This draft class should bring plenty of size and speed to the defense, with top pick Kevin King (33rd overall) measuring in at 6’3” and running a 4.43 40-yard dash.
Despite many pundits expecting the team to draft a running back early amidst all the defensive picks, the Packers elected to wait until the third day of the draft to land a runner. However, when they did, they went big, picking three tailbacks, all three of whom have drastically different body types and running styles.
The Packers also added a pair of tall, explosive wide receivers who should compete for roster spots in this year’s training camp. DeAngelo Yancey and Malachi Dupre both were big-play players in college, and both posted good workouts.
The last roster hole to address was at guard, where the Packers lost T.J. Lang in the offseason to free agency. GM Ted Thompson stuck with his trends in the sixth round, drafting blind-side tackle Kofi Amichia with the intent of moving him inside.
All told, the Packers made two trades, both times moving back for an extra pick. The trade back from 29 to 33 netted them the pick that landed local boy Vince Biegel at the top of the fourth round. Then the Packers slid back three spots in round five, adding a 7th-round pick from the Broncos that turned into running back Devante Mays.
Here’s the full list of Packers picks (links go out to our pick recap):
Packers’ Draft Picks
- Round 2, pick 1 (#33 overall, from Browns): CB Kevin King, Washington
- Round 2, pick 29 (#61): S Josh Jones, NC State
- Round 3, pick 29 (#93): DT Montravius Adams, Auburn
- Round 4, pick 1 (#108, from Browns): OLB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin
- Round 4, pick 27 (#134): RB Jamaal Williams, BYU
- Round 5, pick 31 (#175, from Broncos): WR DeAngelo Yancey, Purdue
- Round 5, pick 38 (#182, compensatory pick): RB Aaron Jones, UTEP
- Round 6, pick 28 (#212): OL Kofi Amichia, USF
- Round 7, pick 20 (#238, from Broncos): RB Devante Mays, Utah State
- Round 7, pick 29 (#247): WR Malachi Dupre, LSU