We did it, everyone! Real football practices have finally arrived in Green Bay, as the Packers took the field this morning. As we will post frequently from now until the end of camp, here are the big stories from today's practice.
- Sitting out practice were the seven players on the PUP list (Neal, Sherrod, Worthy, Harris, Richardson, Powell, and Tretter), as well as cornerbacks Casey Hayward (RD) and Davon House (WH) and inside linebacker Jamari Lattimore.
- That means good news for Charles Johnson and Kevin Dorsey fans, as both of the wide receivers were practicing (TD).
- Marshall Newhouse got the first reps at right tackle yet again (RD), and Alex Green took the first snaps with the first-team offense (JW). However, Green, Starks, Lacy, and Franklin all appeared to get an equal number of reps with the starters after all was said and done (WH).
- With Hayward out, Sam Shields got the first reps at right cornerback, and M.D. Jennings took the first reps at safety ahead of Jerron McMillian (TS).
- We finally saw Andrew Datko get some work at right tackle with the third team today, after practicing almost exclusively at guard in OTAs and minicamp. Don Barclay also took some reps at center (WH). However, the second-string offensive line was the same as before, with David Bakhtiari, Datko, Greg Van Roten, Lane Taylor, and Barclay lining up left to right (WH).
- Jeremy Ross didn't exactly make a great first impression, as he was the first person to drop a pass in the team portion of this year's training camp (TS, JW).
- Do we have an idea of who the third-down running back might be? Apparently Johnathan Franklin impressed with his skills catching the ball out of the backfield (JW). As Wilde notes, though, pass-blocking will be his key to earning that job.
- Though Charles Johnson was finally practicing and Myles White was our sleeper pick to make the roster as a wide receiver, both had drops in practice that apparently set WR coach Edgar Bennett into a frenzy (TS).
- I have no idea what this means, but apparently the team took an unusual water break midway through the team portion of practice and piped in the song "Blurred Lines" at a high volume over the PA system (JW). A second break saw the team play a Mumford and Sons song (TD), and the third break was country - apparently Darius Rucker (RD). Who knows what's going on there. I'm sure McCarthy will be asked about it.
- Wait, C.J. Wilson did something rushing the passer? This is new. (TS)
- And that's why we projected McMillian as the starter at safety this year - laying a bit hit after showing impressive closing speed (TD). He also took some reps with the top defensive unit later on in practice.
- The best catch of the day was brought in by Randall Cobb, who made the leaping sideline catch seen here
- B.J. Coleman got to work with the second-team offense today (RD). That's great news for fans who think he should be the backup QB this year.
- Micah Hyde was mentioned multiple times by multiple people for multiple nice plays. He certainly appeared to take advantage of more reps than he would usually get, with House and Hayward sitting out. Based on my highly unofficial count, he broke up a minimum of four passes and was impressive all day long.
- Ruh roh. After hitting from 33, 36, and 44 yards, Mason Crosby missed a 50-yard and a 53-yard attempt. Giorgio Tavecchio hit his 50-yarder before missing from 53. Both of them hit their second attempts from 53 yards though (MV). The kicking competition is officially on.
- The nickel package saw rookie Datone Jones and B.J. Raji as the two down linemen (TS). It would not surprise me in the least to see those two at those positions frequently this season.
- Practice ended with Hyde getting burned though, as James Jones beat him for a 17-yard touchdown from Aaron Rodgers (RD).
There you have it - all the big events from the first day of Packers training camp. Mike McCarthy's press conference is upcoming and streaming at Packers.com.
More from Acme Packing Company:
- Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers News and Links for July 26, 2013
- Packers Injury Update: Mike Neal, DuJuan Harris, Others Placed on PUP List
- Packers Training Camp Preview: Examining Mike Neal at Linebacker
- Packers Training Camp 2013 Preview: A Look at the Underdogs
- Packers Training Camp 2013: Media Information