In their last practice before they take the field on Saturday against the St. Louis Rams, the Green Bay Packers worked quickly and without pads, going over the game plan for the weekend's preseason game. Micah Hyde was featured prominently, as he took a number of snaps all over the defense and responded well. Here are the highlights.
- The Packers got two players back from injury for today's practice - offensive lineman Andrew Datko returned after recovering from a concussion and running back James Starks was back on the field after being sick on Wednesday (TS). As expected, Randall Cobb sat out today, but one other non-participant was starting center Evan Dietrich-Smith (TS).
- The practice got off to a quick start, with B.J. Coleman running the offense in a 2-minute drill. He took the team into the red zone with a few completions and a scramble for a first down, but couldn't find the end zone as the clock ran out (MV).
- With Starks back on the field, he took the first snaps with the starters on offense, while Eddie Lacy was next up (TS). With Dietrich-Smith out, Greg Van Roten was the center for the #1 offense (WH).
- Don Barclay and Marshall Newhouse continued to alternate snaps at right tackle, but Barclay got the first shot (MV).
- Newhouse shifted over to left tackle at one point (MV) because David Bakhtiari got tangled up with Josh Sitton and had to come off the field temporarily. Thankfully, Bakh was back out on the field shortly thereafter (TS).
- Vince Young made a nice throw on a deep ball to Jeremy Ross, who caught it in the end zone for a 40+ yard score (WH). And then Ross dropped his next pass (MV).
- Jake Stoneburner showed up today, making a nice catch on a back-shoulder fade in the end zone from Graham Harrell, with Terrell Manning in coverage (WH). Manning bounced back later in practice, though, knocking down a pass intended for Lacy on a two-point conversion (MV).
- Jerron McMillian took the first reps with the base defense, but then moved into the slot when the defense shifted into the dime formation (PD). Micah Hyde got to take some reps at right cornerback, Sam Shields' normal spot, as Shields got a little bit of rest (TS). Hyde responded well, breaking up a pass (TD) and making a leaping pick of a Coleman pass (TS)
- A day after theories were posited about the Packers potentially looking into recently-released kicker Dan Carpenter, both Mason Crosby and Giorgio Tavecchio had good days on the practice field. Each attempted two kicks and hit both.
- Jarrett Boykin reminded people why he's likely to be the #4 receiver this year, making what was described as the "catch of the day", a diving grab over Davon House in the end zone off a great throw from Coleman (TD).
Practice ended after a quick one hour and 23 minutes (TS). Stay tuned for our recap of Mike McCarthy's post-practice press conference.
More from Acme Packing Company:
- Packers vs. Rams: Q&A With Turf Show Times
- Donald Driver Attempts to Explain the Aaron Rodgers-Greg Jennings Situation
- Dolphins Cut Kicker Dan Carpenter: Are the Packers Interested?
- Packers Press Conference: McCarthy All But Rules Cobb Out for Saturday
- APC Discusses Packers-Rams with Rams Addiction
Not a member? Join Acme Packing Company and start commenting | Follow @AcmePackingCo on Twitter | Like Acme Packing Company on Facebook | Subscribe to our RSS feed